Puzzle Games

Metal

Don't be sad cause it's over pimps
Lately I've seen a bunch of talk about two puzzle games in particular Puyo and Dr. Mario 64, however it's nice to note that there are an interesting amount of puzzle games out there.

Personal favorite being Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-move. Really like the challenge that goes into trying to ricochet a colored crystal towards the wall hitting another group, feeling good when you're able to knock down. This has been a game that I've always played even as a child since we have a pier here that includes old arcade machines inside of them.

Wonder what other puzzle games people enjoyed, recently I've found out about this one called Klax. You basically have a row of squares and you're constantly needing to sandwich them across the screen, similar to connect 4.

One of the first games I got for my wii was a game called Puzzle Kingdoms. I really really really liked it : p I had a ton of fun with the game. It works like a strategy game, like you assign four troops to your unit, and you use the puzzle board to build up attack power for them. And when you get enough, you can attack the enemies units. It was way fun, Id love to have a copy of that game again.

I love puzzle games. Ive only played a few, but they are way fun.

I can say Tetris and Panel de Pon (Or Puzzle League, or Tetris attack, or whatever) are both my favorite puzzle games!
I should also add Punch-Out, as it is also considered a puzzle game.

Other than that, Puzzle Bobble is also nostalgic to me, as I not only played in an arcade, but also had it on my old phone! (along with Sonic)
Dr. Mario is not bad either...

I can say Tetris and Panel de Pon (Or Puzzle League, or Tetris attack, or whatever) are both my favorite puzzle games!
I should also add Punch-Out, as it is also considered a puzzle game.

Other than that, Puzzle Bobble is also nostalgic to me, as I not only played in an arcade, but also had it on my old phone! (along with Sonic)
Dr. Mario is not bad either...

Panel De Pon outside of Japan also had the Puyo treatment if I remembered, remember playing Pokemon Puzzle League and being confused at how it was played since you gotta scroll through each star or heart shape in order to get combos. Wasn't until I saw Lip in melee's trophy that I got the full story, kind of wish we actually did get Panel De Pon here itself.

Never new Punch Out was even considered a puzzle game it looked like a boss rush kind of game just like No More Heroes, well it does allow you to think quite harshly on certain maneuvers. aka damn Bald Bull's annoying rush attack.

@MonaWare Remember you telling me about the ruin game, although technically not a real puzzle game the way Fire Emblem is set up is similar to chess and perhaps this game as well. If I am able to find it for the wii I'll definitely try it out. The strategy and puzzle elements make it seem like checkers or so it sounds great.

@The 3rd Wario Brother Was waiting for some one to post Wario's woods, although I hear that the SNES version has a lot of differences if you can help me spot them out that would be great. Have only played the NES version and it is quite fun until Wario shows up and tries to smash your progress.

Never new Punch Out was even considered a puzzle game it looked like a boss rush kind of game just like No More Heroes, well it does allow you to think quite harshly on certain maneuvers. aka damn Bald Bull's annoying rush attack.

All of Punch-Out's gameplay is based on timing and patterns. It's not a mindless "let's break their face" kind of game, there's a lot more to it. Each opponent reacts a different way, and you have to figure out their patterns and reactions. Well placed punches can give you a really great advantage, but you need to understand when to throw them. If you try to play Punch-Out without thinking, just to throw some punches, you will probably not win the match.

All of Punch-Out's gameplay is based on timing and patterns. It's not a mindless "let's break their face" kind of game, there's a lot more to it. Each opponent reacts a different way, and you have to figure out their patterns and reactions. Well placed punches can give you a really great advantage, but you need to understand when to throw them. If you try to play Punch-Out without thinking, just to throw some punches, you will probably not win the match.

That makes sense, it's easier to see their patterns in the Wii punch out. Mainly since their animations are now unique as oppose as the limiting sprites of the NES and SNES. Some of them have some really weird quirks that tell you when they'll attack too like Piston Honda's eyebrow wiggle thing, that's what you meant when it came to knowing when to attack and from either the left or the right.

Back