Recommended order of playing the games

JoeKarta

Bucket Head
What order would you recommend new Wario Land players to play the games in?

Mine would be either WL3 > WLII > SML3 > VBWL (if possible) > WL4 > WLS or SML3 > VBWL > WL3 > WLII > WL4 > WLS
I would always recommend playing Wario Land 3 before II because you learn how Wario controls in WL3 slowly and then you can use it to its full potential in WLII.

Right. Especially if you're coming from the Mario series with no Wario Land experience, it would probably be easiest to adjust to the series if you start with Wario Land 1 and perhaps VB Wario Land. From there, you should be comfortable enough with the basics of Wario Land to jump into the other games, which deviate a bit further from the standard Mario formula.

I've said it before but I think it's better to play Wario Land 3 before WL2 simply because the former makes many moves that are part of Wario's base moveset in Wl2 unlockables. Can feel pretty odd.

Coming into 3 from 1 followed by 4 was indeed really jarring at first for me. I found how little I could do frustrating since at the time, I didn't know of its Metroidvania-y nature. I'm really not sure... I'd perhaps suggest to people to start with WL1 given its familiar-but-different sort of setup? There stuff like the ground-pound is only sometimes available so maybe it would segue well into WL3's upgrade system. Then again I'd definitely consider 3 more difficult than 2.

I might suggest WL4 first given the Hall of Hieroglyphs is able to equip the player with all necessary knowledge on how to play Wario Land, but the only two snags to that are the Hold-R charge and the absence of the Super Jump, which are differences to the other games.

...nope, no definite answer on my end. For the record my order was 1 > 4 > 3 > 2

vhCv9JO.png
f4Kuf4v.png
Just a crazy thought, but how about...Just play the game in order?

Ladies and Gentlemen. I gave you, the 'We hate playing games in order" thread. Lol, I'd probably go from Wario land 1 through 4 and stuff, because I like playing games in order. But I started out with 3 because somebody said I should.

• Informative
Reactions: Rei
vhCv9JO.png
f4Kuf4v.png
Just a crazy thought, but how about...Just play the game in order?

Ladies and Gentlemen. I gave you, the 'We hate playing games in order" thread. Lol, I'd probably go from Wario land 1 through 4 and stuff, because I like playing games in order. But I started out with 3 because somebody said I should.
Can you stop speaking for a series you don't even know that well. Logically it would make sense to play through them by release order but the games are quite different from each other that that may not be the case this time. Beyond the first 2 games there isn't much of an overarching storyline for starters.

Sorry, but don't people normally play games in order? It's just me saying and all, don't get all angered about it, bro bro. I'm just saying, I'd play it in order, but like I said somebody told me to start out with 3.

The game doesn't feel right to me, but I'm still trying. I probably should have started with 1. I'm not sure if it's even in the Eshop, so more pawn shopping for me, lol.

From a gameplay perspective playing 2 after 3 makes sense since in 3 you have to unlock abilities but in 2 they are already available to you. That's one example of why chronological order isn't necessarily the best.

Well, I'll let you have your opinion. Sorry if I'm getting off of being a jerk, just thought playing in order is the best. I recommend you play Galaxy 2 before 1, you know, just because.

Also Play Mario kart 8 before 7, 8 has a lot of flaws with items and junk, 7 is okay and you'll feel better about not getting hit by too many items.
kL7o2rS.png

Well, by the sounds of it Wario Land is by far the weirdest series out there, it's like Wario locks these powers from himself, lol.

Those aren't good comparisons. The Wario Land series does not progress like most other series since each game has a lot of things that make it different. It would be like if after the American SMB2 we got a SMB3 that is similar but distinctly different from the previous 2 games. I guess you wouldn't know that though...

Magma, I never get what you say. Are you saying Mario 3 should have been changed? no thank you. Wario Land is same thing everytime then, sort of like Call of duty but with Wario? Same thing, new things added? I'm sorry, you lost me at "Those aren't good comparisons"

Are you saying I should play Ashley land 3 and 1 before Ashley land 1 and 4?

NO KYON THAT IS NOT WHAT I'M FUCKING SAYING. Do what you want but you really have no business discussing things you don't even understand.

Whoa, sorry. It's just I thought playing it in order was just, you know, the right way? But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I agree, I'll play Ashley land 3, than 2, than Mario land 3 and the other suggest games onward.

Essentially, he's saying that it's a smoother transition if you play 3 first, since in 3 you have to unlock abilities that are initially available in 2. This means that, if you play 2 first, you will feel limited by the absence of abilities that you're accustomed to whereas if you play 3 first, it will allow you to get accustomed to the abilities one by one, and you'll already be comfortable with them when you play 2.

Back