Shoutbox-Discord Compromise Evaluation

Magma

Oldhead
Diamond City Leader
So it's been almost a month since it was decided to compromise the Shoutbox issue with replacing it with Discord so I think it'd be a good idea to give our thoughts as to how this compromise is turning out.

My take...

I only use the forums and on that perspective I would say it's been a positive experience since then. The forums have been quite active with consistent, high quality discussions. Even after the initial Switch stuff has fizzled out we're still discussing things. It's also not just posting on the Social Thread or Random Posts thread. We could use some new members but that's an unrelated issue. My only issue is that there is a definite split in the community which is why in my original proposal I alluded to the Shoutbox being replaced with a replacement that'd be more loosely affiliated with the forums than what ended up being decided on. In my mind, I thought that part of the community could have been spun off as its own community that could blossom independently.

How about everyone else? I'd like to hear people's thoughts and especially from the people who mainly use Discord since I don't use it.

As one of the members who propose the use of discord, I tried to link both places as much as possible.
I also tried to stay as active here as possible. I can also tell that a lot of discord users opened on the forums discussions that started in the chat.
If any division happened, it was already divided when the shoutbox was first created.
With the voice chat, we've been able to freely speak on topics and know eachother better.
I always thought the Social and Random threads went against the concept of a "Forum", as both of those are more suited for a chat environment.
Overall, I feel we exiled part of the users, but we ended up having a better platform to discuss topics directly.

Yeah, I definitely feel like the ShoutBox caused the split and there's no going back. The ShoutBox would've been more effective as an actual platform for just leaving shout outs if the forums were bigger and any sort of cliques were already more defined. I also agree with you on the Social and Random threads. They were almost a sort of prelude to the ShoutBox.

Definitely agree with you there, Magma. The Discord is still close with the Wario Forums, if you even checked it out you'd know. Every new thread is posted to the Discord and pinned, the new system I added to Discord only allows Forum members, so if randoms wanna join they will make an account here and we'll have more members.

I noticed a boost in activity here, which is nice. We got more closer as a community over there, I would think. We all voice chat, now we know each other better. Real time chatting, pictures, more mods, etc. It is way better than the Shoutbox, and has less problems. I assigned June, Cm30 and Jack mods.

And helpers like TB and Luigi. Discord is better moderated than the forums itself, haha. We all have our own emotes, for E.g June has Shant, Luigi has, well, Luigi! and so on. I feel this is the best thing that could have happened to the Shoutbox. This Discord, is the Shoutbox 2.

Interesting. I had quite a different impression since despite the rule of No Wario related projects being posted on the Discord, very little is actually posted on the forums from people who use the Discord . Also, going what you said about being closer, that group in itself is close but with that it's very separate from the WarioForums proper. I think a possible question to bring up down the line is whether or not to maintain the affiliation since it seems kind of pointless to me.
Edit: Maybe I should wait a bit more before giving an opinion.
Edit: Let's keep the thoughts coming!

Last edited:
Trust me, we do create more threads now. As you may expect, it's not easy to come up with forum worthy topics, but each time we bring up a Wario related topic in the chat, we create it here, if it doesn't exist already.

No, that's only to promote the Fanart selection of the forums, we're allowed to post the unfinished drawings on the Discord, to get people's opinions. Once the drawing is finished they can share it to their Fanart page on the Wario Forums.

We had a few discussions that lead to being topics here, for one the "What if you owned WarioWare" thread was made because somebody mentioned what they'd do if they owned WW, I suggested it to be a thread because it sounded fun. We're still very close to the forums, despite some people being there only, like Luigi but he still posts here from time to time.

in fact, we have a few members who only use the Discord appose to the forum, guess that is kind of a problem. Other than that, the Discord is fine!

No, that's only to promote the Fanart selection of the forums, we're allowed to post the unfinished drawings on the Discord, to get people's opinions. Once the drawing is finished they can share it to their Fanart page on the Wario Forums.
I am aware of that, I just didn't feel like writing out the entire rule so I paraphrased it a bit lol. But even then I still don't see many finished pieces.

We have 29 members, all of which are forum members. Most of them are pretty active, some drop in once in awhile like GlowSquid, 607 and CM.

In order of power.

Admin : Ashley Channel.

Mods : BlueJack. June Shantae, Cm30.

Mods in training : Luigi, TB. (This is to test if they are good enough to be mods, they don't have much power as actual mods, they can only kick and ban if it is needed.)

Once you join the discord, the rules are the first things you see, to assure they know rules are there. We have an approval system that only allows members. Once you first join, you are unable to post on anything besides the approval request, all you have to do is share your WF account and assure us they read the rules and they are put to the approval list by either the mods or me.

We have a few channels, Two of them open to anybody, being Shoutbox (General) and Shenanigans, mainly used for sharing funny pictures, random topics and such. The other channels are the Welcome channel, which shares the rules and tells you how to join. 2nd is announcements, don't need to explain that much, just share things, and we have our own mod channel which only Mods in training in higher can see.

Everyone's pretty friendly, some rough spots here and there but nobody ever needed to be kicked, banned or set in time out. (The mods did ban my sister, lol. but whatever.)

I wanted to add that though weve had a few situations here and there, I dont think this site is at all in total chaos, and I actually agree with CM30s views on moderating, as I wouldnt want the site to become TOO moderated, where were being banned for making a double post or silly response or whatever : p

I am not too concerned with the moderating on this site : p

And I like the discord move, a having the shoutbox on the forum face will likely lead others coming to the site to spend their time there instead of making posts on the forums. While Im not against chat rooms, a I use Skype frequently, this is a forum and I come here for the forums, and I was becoming bummed out by seeing all the activity in the shoutbox while there was zero activity on the forums : p

I am happy with the changes.

I think I actually mentioned having noticed an upswing of activity around a week after the split was decided and it's only gotten more noticable since then.

Now granted there were still instances of attempted discussions not leading anywhere and that's always a bit disappointing, but general activity has gone up again by a lot and it has become a lot more fun to come here again because of that, at least that's how I feel.

So yeah, I'm happy.

You did point that out before though it was quite early on after the Discord was established but it does seem like the increased activity has been a long lasting thing.

Back