Well, that and something about influence. The more popular the individuals that are fans of your game/play it, the more people will take notice of it.

Five Nights at Freddy's basically blew up because people like Markiplier and Pewdiepie played it on YouTube. Similar stuff helped Minecraft get more popular, and likely helped Undertale as well.

Well, that and something about influence. The more popular the individuals that are fans of your game/play it, the more people will take notice of it.

Five Nights at Freddy's basically blew up because people like Markiplier and Pewdiepie played it on YouTube. Similar stuff helped Minecraft get more popular, and likely helped Undertale as well.

I thinks so, yes, but for some reason (maybe because I found the game charming and kinda retro) I started to like and play Minecraft without influence, just saw X's adventures in Minecraft and the first few episodes of Coe's Quest to get an idea what the game was about. I was able to play in alpha xD
Though I don't remember those shows being too popular at the time. I remember bringing the new about that game at college, everybody started playing! So I don't think all of Minecraft's popularity came from influence, as opposed to both FNaF and Undertale.

True. Though you have to admit, the celebrities playing it certainly helped it stay popular.

As for its initial popularity... I suspect a few things really:

1. The idea was a good one. A near infinite procedurally generated sandbox game where you can build anything had immediate appeal, since very little like that was out there.

2. It built up things gradually. So by the time people heard about it, others had already been playing the game and lots of new features and content was added. Like the anti No Man's Sky really.

3. The game was practically built for the social media generation. Think about it. You could build anything (including whole locations from games, TV shows, movies and real life) and very easily share pictures and videos of said creations online. It was basically the kind of thing that sites like YouTube, Twitter and Reddit thrived off of. Kind of like how Pokemon GO provided a ton of 'funny' pictures showing Pokemon appearing in all the wrong places and hence provided lots of content to be retweeted and shared at will.

Yeah but as what I was trying to get at is that whatever they unwittingly pick to make popular seems almost random.

Yeah but as what I was trying to get at is that whatever they unwittingly pick to make popular seems almost random.

I can agree with that! Feels that way to me too! :\
I just don't get it, do developers pay more for popularity or something? I know they pay big youtubers to showcase their games, but what's the factor? In the end, it really feels quite random...

They're having a Skullgirls tournament over at the convention, guess who's joining... Not me! I'll be destoryed instantly at the first round. But it's better than watching Mortal Kombat's boring matches. Eugh... Block to win is what it should be called.

They're having a Skullgirls tournament over at the convention, guess who's joining... Not me! I'll be destoryed instantly at the first round. But it's better than watching Mortal Kombat's boring matches. Eugh... Block to win is what it should be called.

Honestly who cares if you get destroyed or not, shits way more fun to join in than to just stand in the sidelines.

Anime-weekend sounds like a place where my Sister would love to go to. Though the only anime I've watched these days were One-Punch man, the last anime I watched before that was years ago.

I never went to a convention... well, I went to one, it was in Lisbon, an Anime convention. It was fun, but I bearly did anything there, so I don't know if it counts really.

I got myself an adorable plushy.

20160930_213250.jpg

It's a shame that this is the last day of the convention, I had such a blast wherever I go in this hotel mall hybrid. Had fun playing Skullgirls/other fighting games that isn't Sm4sh or MKX, watching my friend win the Street Fighter V tournament on his first time playing the game, playing competitive Puyo Puyo and 10 player Bomberman on the Saturn, and playing on the arcade room with bullet hell games. Bought some figures and plush and some posters. Can't forget us doing intense Jojo poses and trying to pull off a Jotaro pose. I enjoyed my time here and I'll be heading back home around 7:00 PM.

I feel the need for a new avatar, though Im not sure what to use.

Id love a new Helga Pataki avatar, but I cant find one that I want to use : p Ive been thinking about something from Gravity Falls, though.... Might do that.

Back