Thoughts on Wario World?

It's a very cathartic game that's for sure, very much in the vain of classic sidescroling beat em' up's like Streets of Rage or Turtles in Time.

The Puzzle aspect falls rather short in comparison to the 2D Warios, but taking control of Wario and just obliterating all of the baddies is an absolute joy, so is the soundtrack, really the only things that I hold against the game are it's short length, the enemies getting reused to much and the lackluster final boss, other than that it's good.

I really don't rate it. Felt like it didn't know how to handle the third dimension, for the most part it plays like a sidescroller with occasional deviations from the flat plane. It's completely lacking in the puzzles that made Wario Lands 2-4 such excellent platformers, and it doesn't have the same feeling of exploration that those games often had because the levels are so linear. The movement doesn't feel very good as 3D platformers go. The animations are awful, Wario's movements look stupid and don't compare at all to the wonderfully smooth animation of Wario Land 4 and Shake Dimension. They don't feel like how that character should be, especially when compared to games like the ones I mentioned. The combat is decently fun but I don't like that the game opted to be more of a beat-em-up than a puzzle/exploration platformer like the previous Wario games. There is some good music, but a lot of it is very repetitive and the soundtrack isn't that memorable as soundtracks go.

Too short, this its true, but it was for me really really fun game and, of course, it was the first Wario 3D platform game, and i can't wait for a second title, a Wario World 2, but in this case, it could be more long than the first ^_^

I actually got asked about Wario World recently. Here's what I replied with:

In my eyes, Wario World is good. It’s not amazing, but it’s good. The reason I say this is because its setup is fantastic, given the engine and tight-ass controls you’re given, the way the objectives are laid out and the puzzles it offers. The thing is about it is that it seems to run out of ideas way too quickly, and that’s not great considering it’s also short.

Despite each level offering some exclusive enemies, for the most part you’ll be battling the same basic enemies all the way through, in about four or five recurring types that are simply reskinned between levels. Gimmicks such as the targets in Wonky Circus, or the reflection tricks in Mirror Mansion are interesting, and should really have been made the focus of the entirety of their respected levels, which would likely have led to consistent a combat environment-centric design.Instead, every so often you’re required to beat up enemies in the same way you’ve already done in prior levels, with the occasional sprinklings of new ones. Despite having plenty of options, it seemed like the best solution for the majority of larger enemies involved the spinning throw, a piledriver, or the choice between either. I seldom had to stop and think about my fighting strategy, put it that way.

The puzzle rooms found in the trap doors are fun to play and work out, especially the outstanding ones such as the final, long-haul Sky puzzle in Pecan Sands. Finding their trap doors and then completing them was very gratifying for me, as was the standard treasure hunting with the buttons and chests. I thought using coins to pay for extra lives was a good idea, but I think the problem was that they were far too generous in how much it costed. Had the price been steeper or gotten considerably worse with every life lost, it would’ve increased the stakes, or (as less original as it might’ve been) Wario Land 4′s system of booting you out of the level without your treasure may have been an option too. A big issue is that I never really felt in danger as I had more than enough coins for extra lives. The game really needed to ramp up the stakes at times.

Cool bosses at the end of each stage is always a plus, and I really enjoyed some of the more memorable ones such as the Dual Dragon and the Mean Emcee. The bosses generally did a pretty good job in varying how you were supposed to fight them, but I must say that doing the aforementioned spin-throws and piledrivers to actually register damage got old fast, and I think should only have been used on a limited number of them to keep things fresh. The Black Jewel at the end was disappointing though, it was far too easy, even by the Wario series‘ standards.

So… All in all, I think Wario World is an alright game, but was in serious need of things to keep players invested, such as better death mechanics and more varied methods to bring the puzzle and combat elements together.

Short, but satisfying is how I would describe Wario World. It should have been longer but it's fun while it lasts. I can't think of any other game where I can piledrive a dinosaur.

And to this day I still replay it every now and then. It's a fun game to relieve stress.

I loved it. Despite it being way too short, I think the gameplay is amazing, the controls are easy to get used to, and pummeling all the enemies you encounter is amazingly satisfying. I do agree it's not perfect though. But I still loved it and have revisited it maybe a few too many times.

Well, I guess if you completed the game 100%, it would be longer, but that could be said with any game with sidequests.

Luigi's Mansion doesn't really have any sidequests like Wario World, though, so it could be said that Wario World is longer if you're a completionist.

Overall, I do think that Wario World is inferior to the Wario Land games by a decent margin, though.

Back