What brings Mario back from pits?

Nintengasm

Hocus Pocus!
Conker has Squirrel Tails in Bad Fur Day. Kirby has a guardian angel in Epic Yarn. Baby Yoshis get rescued by White Fly Guys (or Flying Shy Guys) in Yoshi's Story.

When Mario and Luigi (or Wario, even,) "die" from falling into a bottomless pit, what is it that brings them back for another try?

I think the reason the 1-up mushroom doesn't give you a "power" like traditional mushrooms, squirrel mushrooms, etc. is because it gives you a one-time ability to perform incredible feats of strength, like come back from near-death or do a super jump out of a pit or lava (this is why Mario can double jump off of air in Smash Bros., it's a weaker version of the same power). I don't think the 1-up mushroom itself brings Mario back to life, or else the Life Shrooms in Paper Mario would be useless. In M&LRPG one-up mushrooms are used similarly, but you'll notice one of the brothers has to force-feed the other, rather than the full resurrection being intrinsic to the 'shroom.

In Wario's case, the same principles largely apply, but Wario is just generally stronger than the man in red. How many Wario games could you even fall down pits in? I'm thinking WL1, SM64DS, World, and Shake It? When it's convenient, Wario just expends some of his Garlic-Powered Strength to hop back out, but most of the time he prefers to explore the depths for even more treasure! There's even a minigame in the first WarioWare that makes reference to this (you have to steer wario into a hole, so he can find a WL4-esque diamond).

Reactions: 607
You can't fall down pits in Shake It. I've tried, all pits lead to another room. You also can't in Wario World, the pits lead you to some weird bonus like area you have to escape.

As for how the Mushrooms work... I suspect they do revive the dead, you just need to manually feed them the Mushrooms or something. Perhaps Mario's not quite dead and feeds himself one as he falls off the screen.

Oh, I haven't played either of those in a while. For some reason I thought Wario World had areas you could jump out of the world in and you just respawned Zelda-style with a heart of damage but maybe they were just invisible walls or me totally making things up.

It seems like in the case of falling down pits, propeller mushrooms like from NSMBW would be even MORE useful than 1ups, if used properly...

Ohhh yeaaaahh... For some reason I interpreted minigame-like area to be referring to the trapdoors. I really wish my younger self hadn't inexplicably sold Wario World, that game had some pretty crazy design.

In an tangential question, has Wario ever been fatally damaged by lava? In WL3 it just set him on fire and WL4 it did standard damage, never the OHKO Mario suffered. Even in SM64DS, he was chosen to have the metal cap so he's the only one who can walk through it.

Wario Land 1's lava killed him instantly. Remember that level with the wall of lava that chased you in Stove Canyon?

Reactions: 607
FUCKING BUBBLES!!!!!
maxresdefault.jpg

Also Super Mario Maker actually implies that the pits are not actually bottomless.

Last edited:
Back