Will a WarioWare game be on mobile phones?

Don't forget that the "filthy casual" could eventually be turned on to more traditional video games if the right app hits them. I'm sure Nintendo is hoping their mobile games will make their other games more appealing to those who might not otherwise pay them much attention.

There's no way phone games are going to convince a casual to start playing bigger games.

Gamers know they're gamers. They don't need a phone game to convince them that they are gamers.

The "converting casuals to REAL GAME PLAYERS" meme was always wishful thinking (nintendo pundits insisted this was ~nintendos master plan ~ with the Wii/DS and the generation after shows how much good that did) but smartphone apps can be very successful in publicising and driving sales of retail games. old pokemon games got a massive boost in sales after the success of pokemon go

Old Pokemon games. Not new ones, which is what counts. Pokemon Go reinvigorated nostalgia which only goes so far. Already Pokemon Go is losing steam, as I figured it would.

Old Pokemon games. Not new ones, which is what counts.

1:Making money counts.

2: "Old" in the post refers to 2-years old. It's not like there was a big pokemon game released at the same time as Pokemon Go.

3: The game isn't notably bleeding more subscribers than other mobile hits and is still making banks despite being a shallow and poorly programmed piece of software.

Last edited:
There's no way phone games are going to convince a casual to start playing bigger games.

Gamers know they're gamers. They don't need a phone game to convince them that they are gamers.
As mentioned, the spiked sales in Pokémon games after the success of Pokémon GO suggests otherwise--but I know it's hard to ignore the buttery feeling of superiority elitism provides.

There's no telling if those people were just former Pokémon gamers who were reinvigorated with nostalgia and convinced to buy the games.

Do we know if casual gamers who normally don't buy a console were the ones to run out and buy these Pokémon games?

I don't think I'm superior to anyone. I just know different types of people like different types of things. Casual gamers are a different market that likes different things. This has nothing to do with elitism.

It should be common knowledge that casual gamers are less likely to go out and buy an expensive dedicated system when a free/cheap game on their phone is enough to satisfy their gaming needs.

It should be common knowledge that casual gamers are less likely to go out and buy an expensive dedicated system when a free/cheap game on their phone is enough to satisfy their gaming needs.
Of course; no one argued otherwise, so I think you're fighting a strawman here. You said there was "no way" mobile games could convince the casual gamer to check out a more premium experience. Perhaps you have since changed your stance.

For what it's worth, Nintendo touched upon the success of Pokémon GO in reporting their Q2 FY16 financial results:
The release of the smart device application Pokémon GO led to increased sales of software in the Pokémon series released in the past and drove the Nintendo 3DS family hardware sales growth, particularly outside of Japan. The sales volume for hardware this period was 2.71 million units (19% increase on a year- on-year basis).

So, not only did they report an increase in sales of Pokémon software, but also 3DS hardware during this time period.

There better be!!!! ever since Nintendo announced their mobile deal with dena,
the first game i wanted was a mobile Warioware,
It's pick up & play gameplay & just the general style, fits the smartphone style very well. so i'll be a perfect game for Smartphones. (It's better then slapping poor Mario onto a cliche endless running game)

Last edited:
I mean, WarioWare is practically the father of mobile gaming, by introducing mobile like gameplay on the GBA. I think it's a missed opportunity to not include this title.
It fits in perfectly, it was designed to be a mobile game before mobile gaming became popular!

Of course; no one argued otherwise, so I think you're fighting a strawman here. You said there was "no way" mobile games could convince the casual gamer to check out a more premium experience. Perhaps you have since changed your stance.
I only think kids who don't know if they like consoles yet will be motivated to buy one from a mobile game. Anyone who's in their 20s and hasn't touched/enjoyed a console game probably never will. And no mobile game will ever convince them otherwise.

So, not only did they report an increase in sales of Pokémon software, but also 3DS hardware during this time period.
I think nearly all of those increased sales were done by core gamers who had once owned Pokémon as a kid and were reinvigorated by nostalgia to buy a new Pokémon game. Especially Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire which they may have also played as kids. Another portion is probably little kids who don't know if they are gamers yet.

In short, mobile games will remind people who are still gamers but have left Nintendo to get back and play them. They might also convince young kids to get them too. But everyone else, someone who knows they only like phone games (aka casual gamers), are never going to play a console.

Let me tell you from experience. One of my friends went out and bought a 3DS and Pokémon after playing Pokémon Go. But he was no casual. He had moved on from Nintendo and was now playing XBox One. But Pokémon Go reinvigorated his nostalgia of when he used to play Pokémon on his Gameboy Advance.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend also downloaded Pokémon Go for fun. She had never played a real Pokémon game before. And while she had fun playing Pokémon Go, she most certainly was not convinced to go out and buy and expensive 3DS system. Having never played a real Pokémon game, she had no interest in getting one now.

Last edited:
Do they have statistics that show people who've never played a console being motivated into buying one from a mobile game?

Your statistics just show an increase in sales. It never said that it was casual gamers who increased those sales.

Back