"Bad games" that you love

MonaWare

do wa ditty
Diamond City Insider
Are there any games that everyone looks down on that you think are way awesome? I think we all have games like that : p This isnt so much about underrated games (though it could be in order to get more activity I guess : p) but about games that you like that are literally called "bad" by the gaming world : p

I have a big one, its one of my all time favorite games, its a big game from my youth. It was my older brothers, and when he first played it I was too young to understand it, but when I got a few years older I tried it out and totally liked it a ton. I did really badly at first, though : p Did not understand how to level up my characters in a way that helped yet : p But I played it again later on and for a while it was actually my all time favorite game ever.

It was a game called Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage for Nintendo 64. Most people dont even know what it is, and those who do will tell you its "bad" : p But Ive played the game many times, and honestly, I have no idea why they call it bad, other than its just not the kinda game youd see on Nintendo 64 : p Its an RPG, made by a Canadian company called H20 (they made games like Tetrisphere for N64). Its very much like a general western RPG, like the Elder Scrolls series, but also has alot of elements of JRPGs, like having a party and turn based battles.

The game is waaaay original. The battles add a bit more strategy than the general attack- guard- magic- RPG battle systems : p The game had tons of character customization for the time. The world is huuuuuuge, and you can explore everywhere, and theres so much to explore and find. Its an open world, and the game has different nations with different races that all have their own history and relations with the other races, its a really well thought out and creative game.

EDIT- Actually I found a good review of it, he makes it sound like its terrible at the beginning, but after talking about its flaws he does talk about how its a good game.

What games do you like that are looked down by the rest of the world?

Last edited:
One of my favorite games of all-time, Donkey Kong Country 3. I really could go on forever about why I love this game so much and I have defended it to hell and back. And as a way to show my love for it, I'm making an arrangement album of it's soundtrack for it's 20th anniversary.

Another game that's often greatly hated that's also one of my all-time favorites is EarthBound Beginnings/Zero (Mother). For an RPG from 1989, it was incredibly ahead of it's time. Suprisngly funny, charming writing, a wonderful story (best of the MOTHER series IMO), great graphics for the NES, a giant connected world (no overworld), better difficulty balancing than other RPGs of it's time and the greatest soundtrack on the NES/Famicom IMO make this up this incredible game. Really, if you haven't heard this game's original soundtrack or the official vocal album, go do yourself a favor and have a listen.

Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk. Everywhere I see people talk about it, they say it's terrible, annoying and not fun. Oh, and often they also claim the music is shit.
I like it. Perhaps it's just nostalgia. But I think I really do like the game.
Edit: just looked for it on YouTube, and found the mobile game. No! Not that one! Come on, I mean the original, for Atari ST or Amiga, not a stupid remake with stupid music, stupid graphics and stupid dialogue.
Another edit: I found this terrible review d:p (grr, please don't embed...) I don't agree with him at all, he has odd thoughts, manners and talks odd... it's kind of funny, though d:p

Last edited:
Sonic 06.

In all seriousness: I don't think it's a GOOD game... But Sonic's half is almost half decent aside from the town missions and everything else. The actual stages are somewhat fun, even if it's a watered down Sonic Adventure.

Last edited:
Not really "bad", but the Destroy all Humans series is like among my top favorite non-Nintendo games. Nobody online has ever played them or talk about them though.

A lot of people say Zelda 2: Adventure of Link is "bad", but I think those people are just Zelda fans who don't like it because it's not like the other Zelda games. If you judge it as a videogame and not a Zelda game it's really good.

LoZ 2 is awesome, yeah : p I really liked it.

And its weird that DAH isnt real big, I remember seeing alot of advertisements about it when it was coming out, I was completely aware of it and I havent played it to this day : p Would think it would have more fans.

Not really "bad", but the Destroy all Humans series is like among my top favorite non-Nintendo games. Nobody online has ever played them or talk about them though.

A lot of people say Zelda 2: Adventure of Link is "bad", but I think those people are just Zelda fans who don't like it because it's not like the other Zelda games. If you judge it as a videogame and not a Zelda game it's really good.

I thought the first few Destroy all Humans games were seen as decent. And it was the last few which were seen as utterly terrible. Did that change?

As for Zelda 2... a lot of people will agree wth you there. It's got an unfairly bad reputation really.

I thought the first few Destroy all Humans games were seen as decent. And it was the last few which were seen as utterly terrible. Did that change?

Yeah, I really meant the first and second ones. The others are awful (Big Willy Unleashed anyway, never played Path of the Furon). But still, it's a series I never hear talked about, and I love the first two.

Well, the DAH series did have a developer change for the later ones...which probably explains the lowering in quality.

As for bad games? Well, let's see now...I like a good chunk of Compile Heart's games. Are they as polished and well thought out as the original Compile's games? Most certainly not. Do they have fanservice that can be off putting at times? Yes. Are they still entertaining?

Yes. They're guilty pleasures of mine.

Another one...well, I certainly enjoyed Sonic 2006, warts and all. I'm aware of its problems, but I still had fun.

Another one would have to be Puyo Puyo 7. Yes it's not as fully featured as the 15th Anniversary game...but considering said features got in the way and felt forced, I'm not upset about it. Yes, the transformation mechanic is busted, but it's still fun. And the transformations themselves? Yes please! Heck, I consider it one of my favorite games in the series. Most seem to disagree.

Toki is a very flawed-to-mediocre game but I like it way too much.

...Not that I think it doesn't have a cult following, seeing as that HD remake is still in purgatory with people wondering where it is.

I have another. Its a top favorite for me. It was a JRPG for the Wii, I read about it like 2 years before it even came out, and I was way excited to play it right then : p I waited well over a year to finally get this game, and I actually felt like it lived up to my hype when I finally got to play it too : p

This is the game here-

And Im actually kinda annoyed by the fact its looked down on. And not because I dont like it when people disagree with me, Im well used to people not liking my games : p But, the biggest complaint this game gets, the top thing people complain about with this game, is the voice acting.

It kinda annoys me : p I mean the voice acting was far from great, but it wasnt that bad. I never really minded it. The game had a good and interesting story (not the best ever but still good), really fun and likable characters (even if they can be a bit cliche), some of the best music for a video game, my all time favorite JRPG overworld, awesome art style, really cool visuals, a super fun battle system, great character customization, and a magic system I really liked other than the fact that they limited it too much. It was a great game worth the 40$ price tag at release : p I liked this game a ton.

But, you know, voice acting. Gosh golly.

• Wow
Reactions: 607
I really love Sticker star, it's not at all bad in my opinion. I love myself an RPG as much as the next guy but doesn't hurt to try anything new. I never ran into the trouble of running out of stickers, the only problem I had was with the big boo fight, but I got it right the next round.

No real reason to hate it unless you are a hardcore Paper Mario RPG fan or other. It had great music, fun battle system and nothing too hard about it, unlike RPG paper Mario where I miss something and have to backtrack, this is just mostly get to point A to B, which I like about it. Straight forward and fun, almost any gamer can pick up the game and won't have so much of a hard time, I did get stuck in some parts like the area where sand is blowing around, simple online look up helped.

The game is perfect. final boss ain't easy tho, took me like, 5 tries to beat him.

I really love Sticker star, it's not at all bad in my opinion. I love myself an RPG as much as the next guy but doesn't hurt to try anything new. I never ran into the trouble of running out of stickers, the only problem I had was with the big boo fight, but I got it right the next round.

No real reason to hate it unless you are a hardcore Paper Mario RPG fan or other. It had great music, fun battle system and nothing too hard about it, unlike RPG paper Mario where I miss something and have to backtrack, this is just mostly get to point A to B, which I like about it. Straight forward and fun, almost any gamer can pick up the game and won't have so much of a hard time, I did get stuck in some parts like the area where sand is blowing around, simple online look up helped.

The game is perfect. final boss ain't easy tho, took me like, 5 tries to beat him.

Have you played TTYD?
(Ive never played any PM games other than TTYD and SPM, am just curious)

I've played every Paper Mario game so far, all of them were great. My favorite was Super Paper Mario because of the characters and plus you get to play as Luigi.

Now I'm just waiting for Color splash(Tm) which looks very good by the way. I had ides for Ashley being a side character maybe but mostly looks like it'll just have toad characters.

It gets a lot of flack for being unlike the other Paper Mario games in terms of gameplay, but I love Super Paper Mario. Its story is amazing and wonderful, it has a great cast of unique characters with witty dialogue as usual, and also playable Bowser is nice. The villains are lovable, the music is fantastic, and while it's completely different from Paper Mario 64 and TTYD, I really like the side-scrolling gameplay that it has. I also really like how the leveling system in a platformer, since it gives you incentive to fight enemies as you traverse the level. It's also got some really neat level designs that utilize all of the gameplay features the game has, aside from a few really bad ones (OH GOD MERLEE'S MANSION WHY). It's a great game, but people unfortunately give it a hard time for being different from the first two.

Also, some people really dislike the controls of Kid Icarus Uprising, but I kinda like them. Also the dialogue is great. Palutena is awesome.

That was actually my problem with SPM : p I was excited to play another Paper Mario game like TTYD, and when I turned it on I was way disappointed : p

Now that Im aware its not like that game at all, but another kind of game, maybe I can come at it and enjoy it without feeling let down by it : p Should try.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Back