Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

That's what people said about Sonic Boom. =/ Though I'm still hoping it's actually good.
Except with Mania, if it's following the classic games formula, there's really not going to be any dialogue. There will just be a backstory and pantomimed cutscenes.

I will admit that I kind of miss the days when the characters besides the main characters had some real characterization. Sonic Battle is one of my favorite games because I thought was an interesting take on the fighting game genre and I liked the whole almost RPG feel of it. I mean the massive cast that had had emerged by around 2006 was getting out of hand but I kind of miss some of the characters being more characters and not just props for something or just there.

Rather coincidentally, I've had the Game Gear version of the first Sonic freeze up on me in that game's Labyrinth zone.

I never had issues with the Game Gear versions, just 1 and 2 on Genesis. 3 and S&K are easy to break too, but that's just in debug mode.

The first video I believe it happens in Labyrinth Zone 1 and 2 when you finish the level while rolling and holding down.

To put it very, very simply, the way the game grabs its data is very slow, so it uses specific pattern cues to load the data. Loading the results screen takes its own pattern data that needs to be decompressed, and the data that's on the screen before the results needs to be stored temporarily so the game can still load quickly.

The way the game is programmed to do all of this essentially gets broken when you hold down and spin because the cues start trying to load from data that's not present in the slot it's trying to load from as soon as you trigger that.

This summary is very, very generalized from what I could pick from its source, which is this:
Pattern Load Cues are a mechanism to spread out decompression of Nemesis-compressed patterns over several frames to keep the game from hanging, because it is a slow process. When a PLC request is queued, some tiles are immediately decompressed, then some values are stored in RAM so that processing can resume later in VBlank at the point where processing was suspended. The race condition occurs because one of these values, f_plc_execute ($FFF6F8), is initialized before the initial decompression is started, whereas the other values are initialized after the initial decompression is complete. If the VBlank interrupt occurs while the initial decompression is still running, the routines in VBlank (specifically, at sub_1642 and sub_165E) will start decompression, because f_plc_execute is not 0, but using uninitialized values. The critical value is v_ptrnemcode ($FFF6E0), which is a pointer to the routine to use to output the decompress data. Its value when no PLCs are suspended is 0, and there is no valid code at address 0, so when the game tries to jump there, it crashes.

To fix the problem, f_plc_execute ($FFF6F8) must be set after all the other values are initialized.
This makes me miss programming.

The other one happens because someone booted up a Sonic game and used a Sonic 2 Mystic Cave Zone save state, I think.

Sonic Mania is a game I'm sure so many people have high hopes of being a really great Sonic game. The game looks so fun and I really want to play the game as every character, then speed my way through it on the 2nd play through of each characters. I really love the sprite work and as everyone already started saying, Sonic Mania is pretty much the Megaman 9 of the series.

Also Studiopolis theme, oh man. I can't wait to get the soundtrack when it comes out next year.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Yeah you're able to play as Tails and Knuckles on Sonic Mania. I want to play through the game as them all and try to speed through the 2nd playthough.

Sorry I didn't take a very good look initially and it looks more Sonic 1 and 2 influenced so I was confused for a moment.

It looks really fun, I just really wish the people playing knew how to dropdash. I usually see people taking the game slow which is expected since it is a new game that just got announced.

Back