The Mario RPG thread

Welp, if the Morton battle is any indication then ''thing'' items are once again going to dominate boss battles, by either making them next to impossible if you don't have the right one or stupidly easy if you do (28:11) :

Also, Morton's caveman speak tells me that the Koopalings won't be consistend with their Paper Jam characterizations, a real shame, I like what that game did with them and with their Paper counterparts being teased there I was hoping that there might be a chance of them being consistend.

Paper Jam had the advantage of 1. being on 3DS and 2. being mostly a Mario & Luigi game.

Color Splash is only a sequel to Sticker Star and is on WiiU which has a smaller potential audience than 3DS. I hope it bombs hard so we can have a real Paper Mario.

Welp, if the Morton battle is any indication then ''thing'' items are once again going to dominate boss battles, by either making them next to impossible if you don't have the right one or stupidly easy if you do (28:11) :

Also, Morton's caveman speak tells me that the Koopalings won't be consistend with their Paper Jam characterizations, a real shame, I like what that game did with them and with their Paper counterparts being teased there I was hoping that there might be a chance of them being consistend.

That's why they don't call it an RPG anymore. The normal battles are nothing but distractions and the Boss battles are nothing but puzzles.
No other skills needed.

Is it weird that I kind of want to see this game bomb for the sake of it, whether or not it means getting a real Paper Mario( that would be nice but I'm just not getting my hopes up).

I initially had the same attitude of wanting to see the game crash and burn, regardless of the aftermath, but now I'm at a point where I'm indifferent at best, because let's be honest:

If the game bombs Nintendo will see it as a sign of the Paper Mario brand no longer having any pull and either become wary of it or kill it off outright.

If it does well or at least good enough however they will continue with this direction, judging by the interview they clearly don't have any interest to go back to something resembling the old style, so the series may as well be dead to me, since it simply isn't for me anymore, hence why I don't plan to support it any longer.

The only thing I really care about now is for the Mario & Luigi series to go on and for certain things from Paper Jam to not become a new standard, as long as that happens I'm set as far as Mario RPGs are concerned, because I came to terms with old Paper Mario not coming back quite some time ago, even if the continued assasination of the series is sad to watch.

Also, I just want to say: I fucking called it. That Paint Bucket is literally the same thing as Kersti in terms of characterization and personality, And Kersti was a clone of Starlow... What's the point of making these characters if they are only going to be appearing one game? At least Starlow appeared in more than one but I'm willing to bet that's due to her (I'm just guessing, I don't confirm this as 100% true) likeness in Japan, or the fact that Fawful was killed off for real in BiS.

I will say at the VERY least it was refreshing to see some different colored Toads... But they are STILL overshadowed by the same generic red toads everywhere, So they couldn't even give them all different colors.

Nintendo, PLEASE don't be as ignorant to your fans as Namco is to Pac-Man World and Klonoa fans.

Side note: I heard a rumor Miyamoto is making games like SFZ and PM:SS on purpose in attempt to get fired as he wants to retire. Even if that's the case that's a poor way to go.

That sounds like a little bit of a stretch to me. He's more than earned a nice retirement if he really wants one, and I'm sure his colleagues would agree. I'd think it's worse to go out by being fired.

I doubt said rumor is true, Of course as it's sounds pretty stupid. Either way though: I feel he's taking the wrong directions.

I don't hate the guy by any means, I have a great amount of respect for him being the creator of one of my favorite gaming franchises, But the creators need to know - Fans have visions too.

Again, Toru Iwatani didn't throw a fit when Pac-Man grew into a family-man escue character to a platforming mascot as opposed to his vision of a childlike character, And in an interview in Pac-Man World 3 - He states it was amazing how far the character has come.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 607
PaperMarioColorSplashBoxArt.jpg

do those toads in the background assuage some disappointment

What I want to know is why the paint on the cover looks realistic compared to the rest of the picture, which fits the series' norm. It looks terrible that way and like something I'd see on DA.

What I want to know is why the paint on the cover looks realistic compared to the rest of the picture, which fits the series' norm. It looks terrible that way and like something I'd see on DA.
Hm? I like it, actually. What would you want? Paper paint?

I guess it IS supposed to be real paint. In the same way the "things" are realistic and not made of paper.
They REALLY want to drive home that it's PAPER Mario. If it's not paper it's weird or special.

*sigh* I want then to go back to when the paper was a style, not an identity.

I guess it IS supposed to be real paint. In the same way the "things" are realistic and not made of paper.
They REALLY want to drive home that it's PAPER Mario. If it's not paper it's weird or special.

*sigh* I want then to go back to when the paper was a style, not an identity.
I can see where you're coming from on that. From what I've played of Paper Mario, even some water pools themselves were made of paper and it helped hit home the aesthetic that it was a paper world.

Understandably you want Mario and Co. to be paper and show that off. Last night I was probably a little harsh speaking my opinion - I guess what I was trying to say was I wish the paint looked a bit more papery to make it feel like even though it is a weird or foreign thing to the world, it has some depth to the world and doesn't clash so much.

This is probably one of those things where you need to really be into it to understand it and I don't have that advantage unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom