The Mega Man series

1466813972131.jpg

I like Mega Man...though i'm not nearly as crazy for him as other people are, I respect the games and their importance in history. I am getting a little tired of hearing about how Capcom "treats Mega Man like shit" or how "Mega Man is dead" just because he hasn't had a release in a few years. Seems like people have forgotten how oversaturated the market was with Mega Man 10 years ago. Everywhere you looked. Mega Man X series, Mega Man Zero series, Mega Man Battle Network series, Mega Man Star Force series..etc etc etc. Mega Man had over 30 releases between 2000-2008 alone.

If you ask me he needed a break. But there's no way Capcom would just "quit making Mega Man games forever" like people seem to imply they have. He's a classic, beloved character.

Personally I'd like to see a sweet new Mega Man come out just to spite Mighty No. 9. I think we'd all have a laugh.

I see your point though to be fair those are all very different series. The Star Force series is no replacement for the classic series. That's like saying there's too much Mario because of all the Mario spin offs even though Mario Party and Mario Golf are very different spin off series.

I see your point though to be fair those are all very different series. The Star Force series is no replacement for the classic series. That's like saying there's too much Mario because of all the Mario spin offs even though Mario Party and Mario Golf are very different spin off series.

I've never played Star Force, I wouldn't know. I'm just going by what I saw on the shelves.

I'm just saying i'm sick of people whining about how "dead" Mega Man is when that's complete bullshit. He hasn't had a game in a while, but he's by no means dead, nor will he ever be. He's an icon. He's got a cartoon coming out soon! (a cartoon that looks like shit, but that's beside the point)

You know who's dead? Gex. Remember him? Now HE'S dead.

Well I guess I need to make it clear that you really can't just lump all the Mega Man series together since there's differences in gameplay and story and even characters. While the classic series is the most well known there are other series and some of them aren't even really connected at all aside from the "Mega Man" name. I do agree that a break could be in order for some series like the overmilked classic series or the limping X series but I don't think that should mean that all Mega Man related games should stop. I think the biggest complaint towards Capcom is that there's all these Mega Man series and they're not doing anything with any of them. Mega Man Legends 3 was getting a lot of good reactions but Capcom just ended the development. While we had seen plenty of Mega Man activty since after Legends 2 a third Legends game was something people got excited about since that particular sub series had been so neglected. Now all the series are neglected aside from cameos or low effort things Capcom has put out.
deae233010d6191491b0b31c23f932de976b69db.jpg__576x480_q85.jpg

Well I guess I need to make it clear that you really can't just lump all the Mega Man series together since there's differences in gameplay and story and even characters. While the classic series is the most well known there are other series and some of them aren't even really connected at all aside from the "Mega Man" name. I do agree that a break could be in order for some series like the overmilked classic series or the limping X series but I don't think that should mean that all Mega Man related games should stop. I think the biggest complaint towards Capcom is that there's all these Mega Man series and they're not doing anything with any of them. Mega Man Legends 3 was getting a lot of good reactions but Capcom just ended the development. While we had seen plenty of Mega Man activty since after Legends 2 a third Legends game was something people got excited about since that particular sub series had been so neglected. Now all the series are neglected aside from cameos or low effort things Capcom has put out.
deae233010d6191491b0b31c23f932de976b69db.jpg__576x480_q85.jpg

Makes sense.

I hear you on Mega Man Legends 3. Even I was pretty stoked about that one.

What a shame. Hope it gets resurrected one day.

Last edited:
Mega Man is a weird franchise because there's so many different sub-series and different fandoms for them.

If you're looking at Juan's statement as an embodiment for Mega Man as a whole, he's technically correct. As far as how long Mega Man has been "dead" for fans of the different franchises is different though. Legends fans complain about how dead the series is because there hasn't been a new game in that series since the 90s. Battle Network died out about 10 years ago. Mega Man 10 came out 6 years ago. Star Force and Zero were also only really prevalent in the 00s.

When people say Mega Man is "dead" as well, I think some people just want the non-gimmicky attitude towards it back. Even though we got 9 and 10, they were purposely refitted to be "retro" and was an important catalyst for that fad that won't leave even to this day. 9 itself is fantastic, but recycles Mega Man 2 assets.

Personally I feel like the series won't go back to its prime days for a long time. People want marketability for games and for some reason Capcom execs won't find a reason to make Mega Man profitable, even though 9 at the very least was extremely well received.

Oh another thing I need to bring up is that rather recently there were a lot of Mega Man related projects that were looking good but ultimately went nowhere. MML3 I brought up already but there was also Mega Man Universe and Mega Man Online and those were rather high profile projects that all got canned and since then we haven't really seen anything like them which feeds into this mentality that fans have had since then.

I completely forgot about those.
MMU_Main.jpg

I really, really didn't care for this art style at all. I don't know what they were thinking with this but it's still a shame it got canned.

Mega Man 5 is probably my favorite pick up and play casually since the difficulty seems reduced and the relatively mellow sounding music makes it a pretty easygoing experience.

Mega Man 8 is accidentally the first Mega Man I played since my first exposure to Mega Man was renting the Anniversary Collection but since I was unfamiliar with the series it confused me and I picked a door at random and went with Mega Man 8.

Mega Man 8 is accidentally the first Mega Man I played since my first exposure to Mega Man was renting the Anniversary Collection but since I was unfamiliar with the series it confused me and I picked a door at random and went with Mega Man 8.

The titles are sorted by numbers and you were confused so you chose number 8?

I knew nothing about Mega Man and had never heard of a game series with so many numbered sequels.
Go with 1 perhaps? That's what i would have done.
That being said 8 isn't necessarily a "bad" place to start (all cutscenes aside) but it seems like a rather unusual choice to me.

Back