Unpopular Video Game Opinions

I'm bored, It's quiet, I still don't like Super Smash Flash 2 even after it's "update" and I still find it's roster a trainwreck honestly. Since day 1 it looked like a 14 year old's wet dream on Newgrounds because "OMG GOKU, LLYOID, MORE GENERIC GUYS I DON'T CARE ABOUT".

They added Pac-Man in the new update... Which was like half a decade after being nothing but an assist trophy in that game for ages, nothing more than an 8-bit Sprite. Even then, I still don't like it... Though I want the WL4 Wario Sprite edits from the old versions for public use.

Game graphics are far too clean these days (for the most part). I miss the character and charm brought by the limitations of yesteryear.

Now careful how you slice it! I don't want everyone in the neighbourhood to think I'm some old fart who thinks we should revert back to old technology. I just prefer games to have character, rather than look like soulless flash games or pristine, cookie-cutter 3D models. Give me some texture, some 'flaws', some blemishes, DAMN IT!

Lots of modern games have unique artistic styles to them. They don't need flaws to have character.

294473-woolyworld_movev_md.jpg

Lots of modern games have unique artistic styles to them. They don't need flaws to have character.

294473-woolyworld_movev_md.jpg

Sure! I agree with that, Koopaul, but I wasn't addressing games with unique graphical gimmicks. I was referring to this fixation on extreme cleanliness, and a general aversion to rugged designs, grime, or muddy textures. It's really hard to put into words. Someone brought it up here when they mentioned how there's too many retro pixel-based games, but no one is utlising the old 'ugly' rendering styles of early 3D games.

People forget that 'flawed' is an art form, especially when done right. Like the crackle of an old record, or the dark specks and blotches in a silent film. It's all character.

Last edited:
Oh, speaking of that, I did not hate Jabu Jabus belly in OoT.
I enjoyed it, and actually Ruto is my favorite Zelda character because of it : p

Yes that's one of the better levels too alongside the eerie shadow temple from the same game. Ruto is great.

Yes that's one of the better levels too alongside the eerie shadow temple from the same game. Ruto is great.
Oh, speaking of that, I did not hate Jabu Jabus belly in OoT.
I enjoyed it, and actually Ruto is my favorite Zelda character because of it : p

Sorry to drag off-topic but... The Bottom of the Well was always the dungeon that fascinated and terrified me the most. It was extremely dark for a Nintendo game. Blood stains all over the place, dead bodies, a subterranean lake full of human hands...

What the hell is a satanic torture dungeon doing under a quaint and cheery little town? Why is it connected to the town's well? I would NOT be drinking out of that, folks.
I bet on really quiet nights the people in Kakariko can press their ears to the ground and hear the faint moans of the ReDeads in the tombs and chambers below.

wellpic.jpg

Back