Wario Land II - Enhanced Graphics

Do you like these enhanced graphics?

• Yes! Much better!

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No! Keep the original!

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
I'll keep looking when I get the time (gonna have to play all those levels again).

I'm not sure about this guy:
WL2_E_Windowpain.PNG
I feel like that one little pixel left of his fang should be yellow too, to make it look more like he's baring his teeth, but on the black and white sprite that pixel is darker too. Oh well. :STongue3:

I'll keep looking when I get the time (gonna have to play all those levels again).

I'm not sure about this guy:
WL2_E_Windowpain.PNG
I feel like that one little pixel left of his fang should be yellow too, to make it look more like he's baring his teeth, but on the black and white sprite that pixel is darker too. Oh well. :STongue3:
This is a good point tbh. I'll see about that

I always wondered whether these pixels were supposed to be there as well:
t9nijYT.png

(It's the pixels between the feet in case you can't see)

Left is how I interpreted it until now, right is how I think it maybe is supposed to look... possibly maybe dunno.
bottle thrower1.png

I always wondered whether these pixels were supposed to be there as well:
t9nijYT.png

(It's the pixels between the feet in case you can't see)

That could be its tailfeathers.

Speaking of consistency, about your new version of Wario's painting, Don't you think the white shading is a bit much? I've looked over it a couple of times now and, while it looks WAY better, it does stand out a lot.

Well yeah, I was simply trying to make it look as good as possible. ^^ I guess you could take those white bits out, if you want. I could go back and rework it myself but I'm already seeing another 20 pixels I'd wanna change and I'd never see the end of it if I started again now. SXD

...okay, maybe later today. ^^

Did you get that stray pixel on the bungee ghost's arm? it's noticable on his orange palette.
ghost.png

Btw, his guy looks very different in the B&W version.
ghost2.gif

It's almost too good, too well shaded in the old version....

How so? I tried to make his face more accurate. His ears are shorter, his eyes are more forward, his mustache is more zig-zaggy. His chin and shoulder are more rounded too.

EDIT: How's this?

QkZJVf3.png

He's less hunched over now. His ears go at an angle instead of sticking straight up.

Last edited:
Did you get that stray pixel on the bungee ghost's arm? it's noticable on his orange palette.
ghost.png

Btw, his guy looks very different in the B&W version.
View attachment 3992
It's almost too good, too well shaded in the old version....
Yes, I did change that stray pixel as well.
qjRuuYi.png

And yeah, a lot of things look much better in the gameboy version. Such is the charm of black and white graphics.

I find this thing particulary ugly:
lI1ZYKf.gif

Last edited:
How so? I tried to make his face more accurate. His ears are shorter, his eyes are more forward, his mustache is more zig-zaggy. His chin and shoulder are more rounded too.

EDIT: How's this?

QkZJVf3.png

He's less hunched over now. His ears go at an angle instead of sticking straight up.
I like your attempt at modifying Wario's sprite like that. But I also think it looks a bit odd. But I don't think I can judge it very well, because I'm very used to Wario's original sprite due to looking at it for years and years. :p

I've been playing around with the bat sprites a bit and I wish I had a way to edit how the tiles of the sprites are put together on each animation frame, cuz some of them seem misplaced.

I've been playing around with the bat sprites a bit and I wish I had a way to edit how the tiles of the sprites are put together on each animation frame, cuz some of them seem misplaced.
Yeah, the tile limitations are annoying, it really limits the possibilities for improvements. I don't think there is any easy way to modify that.

Yeah, the tile limitations are annoying, it really limits the possibilities for improvements. I don't think there is any easy way to modify that.

I don't mean adding tiles, but moving them around. Sometimes sprites are made by overlapping 2 of the same sprite (one of them mirrored) by one pixel, to create a sprite with a... middle pixel? You know, one with an odd number of pixels.
Like so:
batsprite.gif

There's gotta be a file that determines how the tiles are arranged.

Also, I find it a bit annoying that part of the bat has a lighter outline but not the head, even though there seems to be enough room for at least most of it.
Like so:
bat tests2.png

Back