Wario Land II - Enhanced Graphics

Do you like these enhanced graphics?

• Yes! Much better!

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No! Keep the original!

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
I like your attempt at modifying Wario's sprite like that. But I also think it looks a bit odd. But I don't think I can judge it very well, because I'm very used to Wario's original sprite due to looking at it for years and years. :p
Well seeing how Wario Land 4 was my first Wario Land game, when I saw the old Wario sprites I thought they looked awkward as hell.

I mean you must be able to tell how the old Wario Land sprites look off right? Compared to how Wario actually looks in his artwork.
tumblr_mlm1svFiko1rrftcdo1_500.gif

Last edited:
Well, if I made a new Wario sprite from scratch I'd do it differently as well, but since I know the original sprite it just feels off. Kinda like if you tried to make Mario's sprite from Super Mario Bros. 1 look more like his modern design by only changing a few pixels.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
I don't mean adding tiles, but moving them around. Sometimes sprites are made by overlapping 2 of the same sprite (one of them mirrored) by one pixel, to create a sprite with a... middle pixel? You know, one with an odd number of pixels.
Like so:
View attachment 3993

There's gotta be a file that determines how the tiles are arranged.

Also, I find it a bit annoying that part of the bat has a lighter outline but not the head, even though there seems to be enough room for at least most of it.
Like so:
View attachment 3994
Ah I see, Like these:
BcyhYZW.png

bGow9Ch.png

(Good luck unseeing these now =P)
Strangely, the owl doesn't have that problem on the GB version.
And that one with Wario only appears when he is facing right.

I see what you mean with the bat about the outlining. But I kinda thought that they deliberatly wanted to highlight just the wings, because that would otherwise be hard to see.
Still, I'll consider this one as well once I get some more time.

• Agree
Well seeing how Wario Land 4 was my first Wario Land game, when I saw the old Wario sprites I thought they looked awkward as hell.

I mean you must be able to tell how the old Wario Land sprites look off right? Compared to how Wario actually looks in his artwork.
tumblr_mlm1svFiko1rrftcdo1_500.gif
To be honest, I find Shake Wario's drawing a bit off as well.
I mean, compare these:
TM_Wii_WarioLandTheShakeDimension.png
Wario-Land-3.jpg

To these:
250px-Wario_Land_2_GBC_NA_cover.jpg
Wario_Land_4_Coverart.jpg
Virtual_Boy_Wario_Land_Coverart.png

The Shake wario differs a lot from what wario's artwork looked liked for many years. (Not taking Wario's very first appearances into account wariosm2;)
Shake Wario's artwork just looks so very anime-ish to me.

• Agree
Ah I see, Like these:
BcyhYZW.png

bGow9Ch.png

(Good luck unseeing these now =P)
Strangely, the owl doesn't have that problem on the GB version.
And that one with Wario only appears when he is facing right.

I see what you mean with the bat about the outlining. But I kinda thought that they deliberatly wanted to highlight just the wings, because that would otherwise be hard to see.
Still, I'll consider this one as well once I get some more time.
What exactly do you mean on the owl? The wings or the beak?

To be honest, I find Shake Wario's drawing a bit off as well.
I mean, compare these:
Wario-Land-3.jpg

To these:
250px-Wario_Land_2_GBC_NA_cover.jpg
Wario_Land_4_Coverart.jpg
Virtual_Boy_Wario_Land_Coverart.png

The Shake wario differs a lot from what wario's artwork looked liked for many years. (Not taking Wario's very first appearances into account wariosm2;)
Shake Wario's artwork just looks so very anime-ish to me.
Yeah, Shake-it has a pseudo-angular style, while Wario's old artworks are very round, with smooth lines.
To compare his W gesture:
68343-Wario_Land_3_(World)_(En,Ja)-3.jpg

• Agree
Ohhhh, you know why that is? The lower half is shifting under the upper part, instead of over it, so it's just a layering issue. Another reason it would be cool to be able to edit the tiles. ^^

Ohhhh, you know why that is? The lower half is shifting under the upper part, instead of over it, so it's just a layering issue. Another reason it would be cool to be able to edit the tiles. ^^
Indeed, but I am afraid that kind of information is beyond me.

Hm I should have paid more attention to the content of this thread. I assumed we were enhancing the graphics of the game like the title says. But really these are minor repairs and touch ups to the original sprites.

I was going to do more major alterations to the sprites but I understand that's not what you guys want.

• Agree
Hm I should have paid more attention to the content of this thread. I assumed we were enhancing the graphics of the game like the title says. But really these are minor repairs and touch ups to the original sprites.

I was going to do more major alterations to the sprites but I understand that's not what you guys want.
Hah, that's cool. ;P It was a lively discussion anyway. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my concept in the beginning of the thread.

• Agree
Hm... mayyyyybe this could help you out.
It's pretty interesting and he talks about sprite priority (layering) in it.

That is a very informative video indeed, But for editing tiles, there's probably more to it. It's not something I have time to look for.

• Agree
Version 1.1.2 will be online soon on Romhacking.net, which will include the new outlinings on the bat enemy. =)
Once again, it's already available on my own site!

Love how BlueJackG is willing to showcase this mod. Would do that myself, though I think I'd struggle to show people what's so different about the mod given how few of my followers are die hard Wario fans like us here.

Back