[DEAD] Wario Land 3 Hack Project

Honestly, to me this doesn't hold enough importance to push through on my own. I mean, if more people are starting to work on it again, or someone tells me what to do, sure, I can help. But I've decided to take a break as a director for the time being. I think if this is going to thrive again, Haiko would make the best director, for numerous reasons. But for now... we'll see, I have enough other fun and less fun (school related) things to do.

Honestly, to me this doesn't hold enough importance to push through on my own. I mean, if more people are starting to work on it again, or someone tells me what to do, sure, I can help. But I've decided to take a break as a director for the time being. I think if this is going to thrive again, Haiko would make the best director, for numerous reasons. But for now... we'll see, I have enough other fun and less fun (school related) things to do.
Would you mind sharing those "numerous reasons" with me?

Would you mind sharing those "numerous reasons" with me?
Well, you're the one who's showing the most motivation, and actually trying to get things organised a bit (which you unfortunately won't be able to do without the help of others).[/I]

Well, you're the one who's showing the most motivation, and actually trying to get things organised a bit (which you unfortunately won't be able to do without the help of others).[/I]
Ah, thanks, I try.

Anyway, I want this project to start running again. I'm in the mood to make sone Wario Land style stuff, so...

First of all, can everyone who are at the very least still interested in this post a comment here saying so, cause then we know who we still have on board.

And second: we need to deside. There are a few things we can do for this project, and I've thought of three options.
1. Continue where we left of. Simply start working on Wario Land 3 again.

2. Step over to Wario Land 2. This would be easier to make levels for, so it would be a good decision.

And 3. Make our own thing. We could make an engine with Unity, Game Maker, or perhaps Java. This might alienate some people though.

And in order to keep this threat running smoothly, I've decided I want to do sort of a question of the week kind of thing!(or maybe I'll do 2 per week, who knows)
As this is the first one, I decided to do 2 questions:
-What is your favorite Wario game?
-What Game Development Programs can you work with?

My favorite Wario game would be Wario World, I simply adore this game, the sheer overload of Wario feels and it's level design is masterful.
As for Game Dev Programs, K'm a Game Maker guy. I'm a High School student, so I have not had any game developmrnt lessons yet, and Game Maker seemed to be good enough of a starting program. However, I'm eager to learn more programs, especially Unity and Java.

Developers:
  1. Drenn - creator of The Editor
  2. wariolandgoldpiramid (me) - Director, Research&Analysis, Gameplay Design, Playtesting.
  3. 607 - Director, Programming, Music Composing (?)
  4. nayrran - Research&Analysis, Playtesting
  5. JoKeR - Level Design, Gameplay Design, Playtesting
  6. Exeggutor - Playtesting
  7. ShyGuyXXL - Graphics, Level Design, Gameplay Design, Programming
  8. 356 - Level Design, Gameplay Design, Research&Analysis, Programming,
  9. Bobo - Graphics
  10. Waschpenner - Level Design, Gameplay Design, Programming, Graphics
  11. K3fka - ROM, RAM, ASM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drenn's Wario Land 3 Editor:
Get it here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wario Land 3 Hack Folder on Google Drive:
Send a PM to 607 to get acsess

Development has not officialy started yet.
We are in the planning stages.

What if we all make a development team, and create a big, full, official hack of Wario Land 3?
I think that if we all work together, we can make an amazing game that's just as good, if not better, than the origional.

And I'm very serious about this project. I really want this to happen, and I'm encouraging anyone who is interested to join the development team

Well, I have these thoughts in my head, but when putting them on print... I'm not really sure if I can write this page well, but I'll try my best...

So...

What do we need?

Base: The editor

UPDATE:
Drenn is joining us, and will continue working on the editor.
We also made progress in learning "Programming", as well as Graphics Editing

We also have an object database now, so the blue boxes problem has been solved.

And we got some practice with it's usage, so things have improved since we started.

Developing:

1) Programmers. Those who will learn the editor, and put, implement our designed content into the game. That's a very importhant job. The editor, like i sayd, is pretty hard to use. It's not Lunar Magic. So it will take some time to learn how to use it. And using it to actually create the levels can be difficult. It will need time, skill, patience... It will be hard work, so we need people who will be willing to do it

But of course, programming comes later. Before we can put things into the hack, we need to design them

2) Level designers. These people will need to design the levels that will be in the game. This includes the visuals, graphics, tilesets, and the general map of the levels. The locations and areas of the keys, chests, music coins, and stuff like that.
Designing things means working on paper, or in a graphic program. The levels need to be interesting, good to look at, fun to explore, etc... So the level designers would need to work on that

3) Gameplay designers. These designers will need to design the gameplay. This means: the obstacles that will get in Wario's way to the treasures, the puzzles that he will have to solve, etc...
I already designed 4 puzzles, you can see them here.
And I'm sure i can design more. This is deffinetly something I'm interested in working on.

4) Researchers. These people need to do reseach of the Wario Land 3 game. What i mean is: analyze the levels.
Look at J. J. W. Mezun's analysis of the Wario Land 3 levels at the website Wario Land Land.
And analyze the levels ourselves. We need to understand what was good, and what was bad about the origional game levels, in terms of visual deaign, and in terms of gameplay.
Here are a few examples i read on the site.
Puzzles where you need to jump on miltiple enemyes to climb up are a bit overused in the game, espacialy in Cave Of Flames. So have less of those.
Cave of Flames is the worst level in visual design, because all the rooms look the same. Perhaps we can add some more tilesets. Also, the warp beans that destroy the enemy only appear in Cave of Flames. We could put morw of them in other levels of the hack.
To many caves that all look the same. We could design some more cave tilesets, and also have more outdoor areas in the levels.
Another things that need researching is the flow of the game, the order in which you collect the treasures. We would need to make it thr same in our game, andlater than sure no treadure is unlocked earlier or later than it's suppose to.

Also, here is a little bit of my analysis. It's not really analys, more like small observations. But still, it's info that can help us design
The Vast Plain
Tower Of Revival
Desert Ruins

5) Perhaps we can have artists who will design custom graphics, and then edit the graphics of the origional game

6) Playtesters. Those will test our game. While developing the game, we can all test the created levels. See if the levels are nice to look at. To hard or to easy. And so on.
But it would also be nice if we could have some out of house playtesters. Well, those will mostly come into the play when the game would be finished...

EDIT:
7) Music composers. I didn't think of this at first, but it would be nice if we could add our own music into the game. Some details in posts below

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment.
Is anyone interested in this?
If we are to make this, it would need to be a coleborative process. I dont know how many people would be needed, how big the team would need to be.
As of right now, we are a very small community. This project might be to ambitous for us. I dont know for sure. But it would certainly help to gather a larger anount of fans here, get ad many Wario fans ad we can to join or community.

And then... Who knows? We might be able to do this.

So...
Is anyone interested?
Dude your a king!!! Do you see how many views you've gotten??

Dude your a king!!! Do you see how many views you've gotten??

Yeah, i know. But that doesn't change that we are kind of stuck...

------------------------

I'm still kind of interested, but very busy with uni and life, so not sure how much work I can do. I do support Haiko being director. I might step down from director thought...

As far as what game to use:
i sujjest we move to Wario Land 2. Designing levels will be much easier, since we wouldn't need to put 4 stages in one or focus on powerups. Each stage can have it's own set of puzzles and mechanics.

I'll do a bit of re-search, and list what Wario Land 2 has that Wario Land 3 doesn't and wise versa, so we can see what we can and can't do

Last edited:
I took a quick look at the WL2 editor and unless I missed something it seems like there's no way to edit sprites in the editor which is unfortunate.

• Agree
Reactions: 356
I'm still interested, and if you want, I do have some spare time to devote on this at least one or two times a week. I'm also interested in WLII, things having to do with programming and Wario are just two things I love, so no matter how they're combined, I'll be happy.
As to the questions: I don't think I can choose between Wario Land II and 3, mainly because my II cartridge doesn't save anymore, and I haven't played it in a really long while because of that. I also haven't played anything more than the four handheld Wario Land games (no, the virtualboy is not a handheld d:rolleyes:).
For the second question: I don't spend time on programming anymore, nowadays. I'm just often too tired to do the thinking for it. I am capable of making simple games in Gamemaker, but nowhere as good as Haiko is.
I can also make text-based games in GFA-BASIC (as if anyone still uses that d;)).

I should probably check in here. So if you plan to move to wario land 2, I won't be quite as much help to you. Evmatter definitely seems to have a firm grasp on things in terms of the editor itself, so that's good. Don't be afraid to make feedback in his rhdn thread, or request features, he won't bite.

I could still contribute ASM hacks if and when they're needed. Custom tile effects if possible, things like that... I'd prefer, though, to see some decent progress in terms of level design before starting on things like that. After all, the wl3 project seems to have died in pretty early stages.

I'll keep reading through this thread, and I wish you the best of luck getting this project off the ground. I don't think there's much I can do to help in early stages, but if there is, let me know. :)

If we do then we need to mention that using the mouse wheel to scroll is almost pointless since it's waaaaay too slow.
Also I can't find a way to add regions...
There's a "duplicate" button which you can use. Then you'll have 2 regions on top of each other. Move the new region to where you want it to be.

• Useful
Reactions: 607
We should work on this project again.
WOW, Didn't get informed on the posts here, sorry :|

Anyway, so in terms of developing games...
I'm currently working on a Zelda'esk game on my own spare time, but it's nothing major, and taking into consideration the fact that I cannot get a Release License because I'm not old enough, I can pause that at any time.

I think we will step over to WL2, even though the back of my brain feels like we are being a traitor to Drenn and all the work he put into his WL3 editor just for us. We'll see, we'll see...

Also, I have decided that, once I'm done making this Zelda'esk game, I'm going to make a Wario Land inspired game on my own. When progress on that starts, I can inform you guys on it if you want?

• Agree
Reactions: 607
I think we will step over to WL2, even though the back of my brain feels like we are being a traitor to Drenn and all the work he put into his WL3 editor just for us. We'll see, we'll see...
Nah, don't feel that way. When it comes to romhacking there's always a chance that a project won't get as far as you hope, and I knew that. Anyway I did have fun improving it in that time and seeing what you could do with it :)

Back