Anyone else play any ROM hacks or fan games?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Cause god I love playing these things. Way better than fan fic, at least in my opinion, and much better suited to a video game series like the Mario or Wario ones.

As for favourites... well, the VIP series is pretty cool. As is Super Mario LD, an obscure Japanese hack I like more than Brutal Mario sometimes. And on the fan game side, I really enjoyed playing Super Mario Blue Twilight DX and Super Mario Fusion Revival.

Anyone else kind of like fan games and ROM hacks?

Never played any ROM hacks, mostly because I've been hearing too many conflicting stories about the legalities of the ROMs themselves, so I've been keeping away from them. I might play one if it can be put into a legitimate copy in a somewhat simple manner, but as things stand, I have no plans.

That said, I have played a few fangames here and there. I remember playing some Mario ones (like the one where Mario ran and couldn't slow down for no good reason. This made some platforms rather tricky).

The one I have most memories of, however, is a Mega Man one. Well, kinda, it was made official by Capcom USA, but it started as a fangame, so I guess I can put it here. It's Mega Man X Street Fighter, and it's a good one. Not as good as the others, but it's free, so I suggest trying it out.

I stay away from these most of the time because they're usually poorly made, but I've played a couple that I liked. Psycho Waluigi was really good. It can be difficult to control though, because when he levitates objects, you have to aim its trajectory with one control stick while moving with the other. I was able to beat it though, and it may be the closest thing we ever get to a real Waluigi game.

I also played Zelda: Parallel Worlds (an A Link to the Past hack) for a while and thought it was great... for a while. The overworld is wonderfully made and it made me feel like I was replaying aLttP again for the very first time. Unfortunately, once you get to the hack's equivalent of the Dark World the difficulty becomes ridiculously unfair and it feels like the creator just stopped trying with the dungeon design. Soooo I never beat it.

One of my friends also made a rom hack of Zelda: a Link to the Past where he replaced the NPCs' names with our friends and me, and had them say stuff that we would say... which was entertaining.

I'd be curious if anyone knew any GOOD a Link to the Past hacks, or Zelda hacks in general.

One of my friends also made a rom hack of Zelda: a Link to the Past where he replaced the NPCs' names with our friends and me, and had them say stuff that we would say... which was entertaining.

Im known for saying "Rock on!" frequently yeah : p

And Ive never tried one before, no. To this day I have not found a game on PC that I have enjoyed, Though that might just be because I lack a controller : /

Back