Does anyone else feel like we didn't get enough good villains...

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
In the later Wario platformers?

I mean, the Shake King was pretty cool, but... the ones before him (and after Rudy the Clown) really lacked in design or menace in general.

Like the Golden Diva, who to be honest, always struck me as a bit of a wasted opportunity.

Or the Black Jewel, which despite its gimmick and powers, could have used a bit more sprucing up in terms of actual character design.

Or worst of all, Terrormisu. Nintendo, an overweight middle aged Princess Peach cosplayer is not a good idea for a final boss:

Terrormisu.PNG

Yeah. That doesn't look good. I'd have honestly preferred Count Cannoli or Carpaccio to be honest, they had a certain level of flare/style to them.

So what do you think? Did we not get enough great final boss designs in the later Wario platformers? Do you sometimes wish we'd gotten some more... 'badass' villains in Wario Land 4, World and Master of Disguise?

I totally agree, I was just thinking about this. I like Syrup and Rudy, but I Shake King, Terrormisu, Golden Diva, and Black Jewel... they all kinda stunk.

...but...I liked the golden Diva.... :c

Well yeah... they haven't been that memorable.

I think we need a villain who doesn't just show up in the beginning and the end.
The black Jewel, the golden Diva, the Shake King, Terrormisu and even Rudy the Clown didn't really do anything until the very end of the game.

We need a villain like Grunty in Banjo Kazooie who's present throughout the whole game.

Captain Syrup was seen all the time in Wario Land 2 (in the cutscenes) and you fought her several times. That made her more memorable.

At least the golden Diva was seen throughout the game in some form. (Remember her face on the jewel chests?)

That's a good point too.

Indeed, there's a good reason why the Shake King could almost be the page picture for the TV Tropes page 'Orcus on his Throne':

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OrcusOnHisThrone

The doesn't do much thing is made all the more true by how he literally sits in the dark all day waiting for someone to walk in:

shakekingdoesnothing.jpg

Above: The very epitome of an active villain lifestyle.

Yeah, we really do need some more villains who actually show up and do things throughout the main game. Perhaps that might also make people kind of 'invest' in them a bit more as characters rather than faceless evil forces.

Back