How would WarioWare be received today?

Glowsquid

Mental midget
Diamond City Leader
Gaemr rage has always been a thing (as these amusing usenet posts reacting to Metroid Prime prove), but social medias have developped to the point the obsessed 1% of the audience is much more vocal and immediatly visible. And that makes me wonder, how would self-proclaimed ~hrdc gamerz~ react to a radical genre shift like WarioWare today?

Of course, there's a big difference in context between 2003 and 2015. Nintendo's blue ocean strategy was in its infancy at its point, so there was little fear of ~casualz taking away our real videogamez~, and the last "traditional" Wario game was 2-years old at that point, so there wasn't the problem of having a franchise go on hiatus for half-a-decade and come back as a strange-looking spinoff. Otoh, I'm sure the internets ever-present tendency to reward only the crudest and most hyperbolic statements mean you would see nerd-rage direct at WW regardless of the context it was released in.

But whatever, I'm rambling. How do you think WarioWare would be received in today's internet landscape? Cautious optimism? Indifference? Revulsion?

(Maybe we could also dig up reactions to the announcement of the game. That could be funny...)

I think that most people who see a TV commercial of a WarioWare game don't even recognise Wario, so they 'll buy the game anyway.
And I think that most people don't even care whether it is a Wario game or not. As long as the game is good, they will like it. :)

Same as it ever was? Talk of WarioWare is pretty limited outside of this site to begin with. Just ask the (not particularly active) Wario subreddit.

I think some would find it innovative but others would find it to be like the stale old but popular free mobile phone games so this is worth a try sort of thing (or complete garbage to kids and refuse to play it). But if it was a freemium game for 3DS it would be taken the same way as Pokemon Shuffle and would get average at best reviews.

Back