Interview with Daniel Primed, Author of Game Design Companion

Nice one! Been hoping for an interview with him for a while, but never got round to it.

Either way, nice to hear his thoughts on the game and the book, and I hope to see him cover some of the other Wario games in future.

Edit 2: Also, the 'getting stuck by doing insane things' concept is common enough to be on TV Tropes:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnwinnableByInsanity

As a series (not just as a game even), the Wario Land games are great at making sure you really, really can't screw yourself over in any real way, at least not that I can think of. But as Daniel said, you've got to keep in mind these issues are only an issue if you're really thinking outside of the box and trying to break the game on purpose. I mean, I got trapped on a tiny balcony outside Treacherous Mansion in Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon... but given that I had to glitch the game to get there in the first place... it was best not to hold it against Next Level Games.

Edit 3: Wario Land 3's system is why I love the 3DS save state functionality. Makes these soft challenges a whole lot more fair.

Edit 4: There are ten treasures in Virtual Boy Wario Land, so probably not. He's been on at least one adventure off screen.

Last edited:
The part that stuck with me in terms of game design in WL4 besides everything in the game has to be the warp puzzle pipe room (or rooms?) because that's my favorite part about functioning games is you coult abuse that and make a game within itself and everything in Wario Land 4 is that way.

Question:
Is there any other looping in levels/stages in WL4 like in Sonic the Hedgehog in the Labyrinth/Second to Last Zone and Super Mario LL in 8-2?
Example:

Question:
Is there any other looping in levels/stages in WL4 like in Sonic the Hedgehog in the Labyrinth/Second to Last Zone and Super Mario LL in 8-2?
Example:

I don't believe so, no, at least not in the way I think you mean. Everything's usually either a circular track or a back-and-forth cycle in WL4 levels, I don't think there's ever a looping point unless you count somewhere you might be likely to mistakenly traverse twice over, like Hotel Horror or something.

Back