Is Ashley's level of popularity actually overblown/estimated?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
It's going to likely be contested heavily by @BooDestroyer, but... I think there's evidence out there that Ashley isn't really as popular among the Wario and Nintendo fanbase as some people seem to believe.

For one thing, the fan communities out there don't seem to include the character in as much fan material as you'd think. The cosplay topic for example shows that on DeviantArt, the percentage of Ashley cosplays is probably closer to 30-40% of Wario cosplays, not the 60 or 70% some people previously believed.

And many other fan fields are the same way. The amount of fan art showing her as the only character is relatively high, but it's not arguably the majority of it. For example:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...AYrnap2jgcAJ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1886&bih=895

The vast majority shown there (especially when you start) is made of ensemble shots of the WarioWare cast, not one character alone. Out of those left, maybe about 30% has a focus on Ashley.

On Fan Fiction... well, the amount of stories specifically about the character isn't actually that high:

https://www.fanfiction.net/game/Wario-Ware-Inc/

About six stories come up where Ashley is one of the main focuses (you can choose what characters you want stories about in the filter menu). The other 84 or so are ensemble cast stories (like the WarioWare cast taking over Wario's Woods or some original character moving to Diamond City or Mario taking over WarioWare Inc) or focused on other characters.

For Smash Bros mods... well, the fact we had no original character model for her for about... maybe 5 years or so indicates that wasn't exactly ever the priority for most modders or the Smash Bros modding userbase.

And for character request popularity... well, she's not the character with the most posts in her Smash Boards support thread. And a poll showing who people voted for on the official site had her listed as having about 0.5% of the votes. About 50 characters had more requests, putting her at about the same support level as Fawful rather than K Rool or Ridley.

Finally, the fan game/hack scene has Ashley as pretty much non existent as a character. Across Mario Fan Games Galaxy, SMW Central, ROM Hacking.net and Fusion Gameworks, not one game I could find had her as a character (significant or otherwise). There was one skin mode for Mushroom Kingdom Fusion and a few resources on MFGG, but for the most part, Wario Land references were significantly more common than Ware ones, and the few Ware references there were focused on Wario, Mona or 9 Volt rather than Ashley.

So her popularity online is arguably quite significantly overblown, even when compared to other Wario series character and elements.

Like we said in the other thread, the main problem is that she's shoving the more interesting characters like Jimmy, 9-Volt, and Mona out of the spotlight.

Again, I don't hate Ashley, but what exactly is there to celebrate about her?

what exactly is there to celebrate about her?

Better yet, what is there to "celebrate" about the WW cast? : p They're cute and fun designs, yes, but ultimately, they're undeveloped ciphers. not complex three-dimensional characters conveying real human emotions.

I like ashley's because she's cute :V.

relatedly: I really can't be arsed to find it ATM, but there was a japanese site that made a post about that club nintendo cleaning cloth seth and it had like 1k retweets.

edit: it's far less than I remembered, but still. a goddamn cleaning cloth set

the ashley thirst is real

Last edited:
Si
They're cute and fun designs, yes, but ultimately, they're undeveloped ciphers. not complex three-dimensional characters conveying real human emotions.
Very few Nintendo characters are very complex. Why do they need to be complex? They do have emotions and personality. I think that's what's important.

アシュリーとは特例なんだけど、日本にはすっごく人気キャラクターだよ。 ええ・・・ちょっと気持ち悪いな?エロみたいなスタイルで描かれてるアートもいっぱい・・・

アシュリーなんていらないもんさ・・・

Si

Very few Nintendo characters are very complex. Why do they need to be complex? They do have emotions and personality. I think that's what's important.

They don't, and I'm perfectly content with them being simple. I just think it's healthy to retain some objectivity (and humour!) the things you love : p.

What is the giant problem with a character having fans to begin with? This thread is no better than /v/ calling anyone who likes Ashley a pedophile. Does a character having popularity really bother people that much?

I don't think Cm30 was implying there's anything "bad"-He's just really, really hardcore into "fan culture" and wanted to discuss the notion ashurii is overwhelmingly popular in the WW fanbase. I sincerely hope you don't feel alienated.

The member he was responding to, though... : p.

I don't think Cm30 was implying there's anything "bad"-He's just really, really hardcore into "fan culture" and wanted to discuss the notion ashurii is overwhelmingly popular in the WW fanbase. I sincerely hope you don't feel alienated.

The member he was responding to, though... : p.

Pretty much this.

My post was more in response to people who seem under a weird delusion that Ashley's fanbase are completely detached from the Wario series one and that everything else is somehow irrelevant to the wider population.

These beliefs are wrong. Pretty much everyone who likes Ashley as a character are just Wario series fans. There's nothing wrong with being a Wario fan who likes said character.

Back