Is Wario Master of Disguise a Wario Land game?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
On the one hand, it's a 2D platformer that's arguably closer in gameplay style to them than it is to say... WarioWare or Wario's Woods or what not. On the other hand, it's quality isn't anywhere near as high and its style just differs significantly from the games released under the Wario Land title.

But what do you think? Do you classify it as a Wario Land game or not?

I wouldn't really count it as a Wario Land game, I would consider it a spin off since the different "disguises" could be considert somewhat of a extension of the transformation gimmick, that is to say if Wario could change between that at any time at will (just without the crazier appearence changes) .

Just because it's a platform and also contains "transformations" sequences, I don't consider it as a Wario Land game.
I guess SUZAK Inc. wanted to make a homage to Wario Land saga with its formula but with toilet humour. (and also a lot of dialogues that destroyed the pace, personally.)

True, and I see all your points on the matter. But it does make me wonder... what do this game and Wario World get classified as, series wise?

I don't think Master of Disguise is really classified any more specifically than being a "Wario series" game, since it acts and functions so much differently from the Wario Land games in the focus of its gameplay. Wario World has at least a little bit more of a claim to being a Wario Land game, but that too is rather hard to classify.

Artistically I call it Indiana Jones Wario just like the original WL explorer with a decent twist. That being said I find it to be a videogame novel, not really a true game, not really a true movie. Very obscure.

While not a Wario Land game proper, I still think Master of Disguise is a very fun - if sometimes flawed - game. It's still really satisfying to bash through enemies and collect tons of treasure, and I do like how chatty Wario is in this game. He's got some really funny dialogue with Cannoli, Carpaccio, and Terrormisu throughout, and I'd love for the game's writers to take another crack at the character sometime, because they portrayed him pretty well here.

Back