My pitch for a new Wario Land game

Domi

Legendary Thief
Because giving opinions on the internet is free... why not doing that myself? While I personally don't care if we ever get a new WL game as long as it's a new Wario platformer game, I'm pretty sure that'd be a new WL and not something else (but please Nintendo, we need Wario World 4K with more content and improved gameplay! That games has potential for something amazing). Here's what I'd do if I had to direct a new WL game:

Story / Gameplay / Game Structure: In order to bring an old franchise back, a common approach is a new game that has new and old elements mixed together. On the other hand, it's undeniable that people like WL4 the most, so we should cater to that feeling. So... why not a remake of Virtual Boy Wario Land with more content and improved WL4 gameplay? After all, VBWL is the only WL game that has never been re-released. That should be of interest for fans and newcomers. In many ways, this would be a Metroid: Samus Returns for the franchise. If it worked for Metroid, it could work for WL. Also include some QoLs, a bit more plot and lore, flesh out the final boss, etc. and I think we'd have a great game in hands.

Of course, it would be necessary to tweak and readjust a bit the original VBWL level design to compliment the new gameplay, but that's expected. That being said, I'd like to see the original game structure of VBWL evolve. Level after level until the end is ok, but a whole new WL game should be a little more interesting than that. Specially after games such as WL2 or 3, featuring a fricking timeline or an innovative metroidvania structure. Adding branching paths similar to Starfox's planet routes could work and give replayability.

Graphics: Shake it went full 2D drawings and that direction has been praised and for very good reason, so I'd say keep it... well, mostly. Every single character (maybe not the bosses) should be 2D drawings, but the environments, levels, etc should be in 3D. There are 3 good reasons for this: 1) It would make changing the level layout easier compared to Shake it (they complained about this in an interview IIRC), 2) it could give the game a unique art direction and 3) the contrast between 2D and 3D elements could help visualize elements in the game, and what to pay attention to and what's in the background. Clarity is an important visual element in games, after all.

Also, "2.5D" levels in which the camera rotates around while the gameplay stays as 2D. I'm sure they could do something interesting with that. See? Another reason for having 3D!

No Land or Ware characters or Waluigi: There's nothing wrong with some references or very brief cameos, but the game should focus 100% on what makes WL... well, WL, and that's offering a game almost 100% full of new elements without looking back or relying too much on previous games. Yes, the WW characters are cool... but I'd rather take new characters only, to offer an experience as unique and original as possible. Syrup can return in a future sequel, and I'd rather have her as a special character that appears from time to time rather than in almost every single game from there on. For Waluigi... I want to write a thread about him so just pretend I didn't say anything :p

To be blunt for a moment, and I swear I mean no offense, but... Placing all these characters in a Land game is fan fiction territory. And that's fine for fan fics, but regurgitating so many established elements is exactly the opposite of what WL is in my honest opinion. In any case, we could always explore Wario trying to trick Syrup into coding microgames in supplementary material such as manga or anime (get to it, Nintendo!!), assuming I could greenlight that kind of project :p

Studio: This is just the obvious and realistic choice, let's be real. They have a lot of experience with 2D platformer games, some featuring an interesting use of the camera in 3D environments. And they did develop Shake it, after all. Just... don't forget to give the game that Wario vibe that Shake it kind of missed.

That's all lol bye bye

Back