Nintendo's resentment towards the GameCube

BooDestroyer

Treasure Collector Extraordinaire
First off, not hatred. Resentment.
How many people actually liked the GCN? Or better yet, how many people LOVED it? Because Nintendo doesn't seem to think that many did. At all.

In fact, how many of its games were held in high regard? Let's see here...Smash Melee (duh)...Wind Waker (got an HD remake on the Wii U), Pikmin 1 & 2 (Wii ports), Metroid Prime 1 & 2 (Part of the Trilogy)....And...........Kirby Air Ride......? And.....um....what else...............? ........Damn it.

And even if they were made by EAD, games like the original Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, and DK Jungle Beat are treated as weird anomalies by Nintendo. I remember Miyamoto or somebody said that he didn't like how things went for F-Zero GX and Star Fox Assault either. In Nintendo's eyes, many of the GCN's games were filed under "What the hell were we thinking?"

There were also a few New Play Control Wii games, but how did that go? On top of that, Wii games now have pseudo-VC on the Wii U. To think that they got it before GCN games did.

I understand that size issues may be a bit of a problem for getting its games on the VC, but it's still kind of strange how this is the only system so far that doesn't have its games readily available today in any digital form. It's like Nintendo doesn't want anyone to play any of its games anymore (except the previously mentioned ones). You can tell that they did not take the low success of this console lightly.
Can't they give that GCN controller adapter for the Wii U some non-Smash use? Or at least remake/port more GCN games? It has to happen eventually. They give us LM: Dark Moon, but they don't want us to play the first LM anymore?

Last edited:
Resentment?

Have you seen how many Mario Sunshine references make it into the Mario series? Nintendo couldn't get enough of the game for what seemed like a decade...

Even after Galaxy came out, they still tried to push Sunshine references everywhere, even with the addition of Rosalina and a few Lumas.

Heck, 2014:

640px-MK8_SunshineAirportCourse.jpg

Same sort of deal happened with Luigi's Mansion, which got less representation, but still had tons and references in later Nintendo games. If Nintendo wants us to forget about it, they're sure not doing very well...

And The Wind Waker... that not only got a remake (as you mentioned), but seemingly altered the Zelda series for good. Notice how since, Nintendo seems to be trying to push the toon style on people despite it not being as popular in the West. How with the exception of Twilight Princess and Crossbow Training, every Zelda game since has been at least a bit 'cel shaded'. Or how the basic enemies from that game (like Bokoblins) have become the defacto 'normal' Zelda enemies.

But enough of that, back to ports. Why don't they port them? You may as well ask why so much of the Nintendo 64 line up got ignored; Nintendo seems to only care about rereleasing the parts of their past no one cares about. Or alternatively, makes the most money. And Luigi's Mansion? I have a feeling we'll be seeing it again soon.

Dark Moon was a massive success (more so than the original to be honest), and they've even made an arcade game based on it. I wouldn't be surprised if said original game was being saved right until just before a Luigi's Mansion 3 was announced/released, as a sort of build up to the new big thing. Maybe then we'll see both that and Dark Moon on the Wii U eShop at the same time.

In fact, how many of its games were held in high regard?

It'd help to define what "high regards" mean in this context. Sales? Metacritic? noise by annoying internet fanboys?

And even if they were made by EAD, games like the original Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, and DK Jungle Beat are treated as weird anomalies by Nintendo.

Which is why elements from those games are constantly referenced in smash and mario spinoffs, and why nintendo let the EAD Tokyo handle the big-budget marquee 3D Mario gaems?

. I remember Miyamoto or somebody said that he didn't like how things went for F-Zero GX and Star Fox Assault either.

it was a general comment on third-party outsourcing, which can also refer to things like f-zero climax and master of disguise.

I understand that size issues may be a bit of a problem for getting its games on the VC, but it's still kind of strange how this is the only system so far that doesn't have its games readily available today in any digital form. It's like Nintendo doesn't want anyone to play any of its games anymore (except the previously mentioned ones). You can tell that they did not take the low success of this console lightly.

That's like saying nintendo hates the 64 because it's still not on the wii u vc.

the handling of the wii u vc is a mess. it's a stretch of logic to interpret any active resentment of the represented systems (or unavailable) games rather than mere incompetence.

^Since when were they two different games?

Dark Moon was a massive success (more so than the original to be honest), and they've even made an arcade game based on it. I wouldn't be surprised if said original game was being saved right until just before a Luigi's Mansion 3 was announced/released, as a sort of build up to the new big thing. Maybe then we'll see both that and Dark Moon on the Wii U eShop at the same time.
Pretty sure it's because of Dark Moon's success that they're riding off of for that.

3DS games on the Wii U eShop? How is that possible?

Also, I'm pretty sure "references" and "love" don't come hand in hand.

The point was that Nintendo acts like many of their GCN games were a mistake. As much as we see the occasional Shine Sprite and Pianta, they just don't want to make another Mario game that's anything like Sunshine again.

(Where's the likes of Koopaul when you need him?)

Last edited:
Well the Game Cube was quite an experimental era for Nintendo: Mario Sunshine as a whole, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid goes first person, a Zelda with cartoony graphics and sea traveling.

I don't think it's so much resentment rather then them feeling like their comfort zones lie somewhere else, especially with the success of New Super Mario Bros on the DS (which if I remeber correctly, was the first of the more nostalgia driven games), so that probably plays part in it.

Sure it isn't always met with acclaim, Zelda Twillight Princess and the later New Super Mario Bros games are often criticed for beeing to similar to earlier installments, but even then it's saver than continuesly tinkering with a series formula, risking a decline ala' Star Fox.

If they acted like it was a mistake, neither Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks or the Wind Waker HD would exist.

Of course, you're not gonna see a second Sunshine. The whole concept was a one game 'gimmick' with a bunch of ideas that for the most part, wore out their welcome in the same game. But I wouldn't say that's due to any kind of 'shame'.

There's a GCN controller thing for the Wii U. When will it get any non-Smash use?

The original LM also introduced E. Gadd as a steady, recurring human character in the Mario series that doesn't have a Mario/Peach-derived design. Do they want to have design sensibilities like that again? No!

Back