ROM hacks that are better than the originals.

NacklesK

Putting the DZ back in Diamond Zity
Diamond City Insider
Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii is better than regular NSMBWii in my opinion.

Also there's a bunch of ROM hacks that are literally just the game but better like Sonic 3 Complete, Sonic 3D Blast Director's Cut (which was made by the actual developer of the original btw.)

Last edited:
I mean if we're counting modded Wii games then I gotta say Project M/Project +/PMEX Remix (all Brawl) and CTGP (Mario Kart, different Mario Kart games have different CTGPs)

I mean if we're counting modded Wii games then I gotta say Project M/Project +/PMEX Remix (all Brawl) and CTGP (Mario Kart, different Mario Kart games have different CTGPs)

Yeah pretty much every version of CTGP is better than the original game it's based on.

I'd also say Smash Bros Remix might count too. The original Super Smash Bros is fine, but it's kinda barebones compared to Melee onwards. But that mod? That mod makes it about as fully featured as the rest of the series!

Probably also going to say Super Mario Eclipse too, given it came out recently. The original Sunshine was a good, but flawed game. This hack basically improves everything about it tenfold, and dials up the amount of content to 11. You've got twice the number of shines, you don't get kicked out the level when you collect one, blue coins don't have a save prompt, all levels are interconnected, often with new areas around the island, there are at least 4 new main stages on the island, plus another 6 or so slightly smaller ones accessed from the Daisy Cruiser (itself a secondary hub), there's a new true final boss, the postgame has you explore Peach's Castle and another 15 or so optional levels based on beta content and beach areas from other games...

It's kinda insane to be honest.

Yeah pretty much every version of CTGP is better than the original game it's based on.

I'd also say Smash Bros Remix might count too. The original Super Smash Bros is fine, but it's kinda barebones compared to Melee onwards. But that mod? That mod makes it about as fully featured as the rest of the series!

Probably also going to say Super Mario Eclipse too, given it came out recently. The original Sunshine was a good, but flawed game. This hack basically improves everything about it tenfold, and dials up the amount of content to 11. You've got twice the number of shines, you don't get kicked out the level when you collect one, blue coins don't have a save prompt, all levels are interconnected, often with new areas around the island, there are at least 4 new main stages on the island, plus another 6 or so slightly smaller ones accessed from the Daisy Cruiser (itself a secondary hub), there's a new true final boss, the postgame has you explore Peach's Castle and another 15 or so optional levels based on beta content and beach areas from other games...

It's kinda insane to be honest.
Wait ? Mario Eclipse isn't just a demo ? It's a full ROM Hack ? I've never seen footage of the hack but now that you talk about it, you made me want to try it out !

Back