Should Game & Wario have been bundled with the Wii U?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Well, should it? Would it have potentially got more people interested in the console than Nintendo Land?

I personally suspect it might, simply because Game & Wario seems to use the GamePad in more interesting ways than Nintendo Land, and has less of an awful art style in general. And it would have certainly done better as a pack in game on launch day than about six months later when people expected more substantial gameplay experiences.

But what do you think? Should Game & Wario have been included with the Wii U?

The original plan was to have the Pirates game (or rather, the non-Wario "Shield Pose" demo) as a pre-installed game but Goro Abe thought "yeah we can totally sell this as a full-priced game". Maybe that wasn't the best idea.

As much as I like WarioWare... nah. Game & Wario might make more varied use of the GamePad, but Nintendo Land is a much better game and first impression of the Wii U.

The original plan was to have the Pirates game (or rather, the non-Wario "Shield Pose" demo) as a pre-installed game but Goro Abe thought "yeah we can totally sell this as a full-priced game". Maybe that wasn't the best idea.

As much as I like WarioWare... nah. Game & Wario might make more varied use of the GamePad, but Nintendo Land is a much better game and first impression of the Wii U.

I dunno. To be fair, Nintendo Land itself doesn't give a great impression of the Wii U, so I'm not really sure whether Game & Wario replacing it would hurt or help the already poor situation. Nintendo Land as a concept doesn't have any sort of mainstream appeal at all, and the aesthetics only hurt it even more so.

Then again, I also don't really know whether Game & Wario would have more mainstream appeal if made the default Wii U game instead, so maybe that replacing it might not be a great idea.

Nintendo Land as a concept doesn't have any sort of mainstream appeal at all,

"Compilation of minigames themed after popular Nintendo IPs" sound like one hell of a marketable concept to me. That the game is frontloaded with obnoxious tutorials and that the minigames in question barelly ressemble the series they're themed after are other issues entirely.

I guess G&W is the better tech demo, but whether or not the average buyer is going to care? Eh, I dunno.

Not with the art style and set up of Nintendo Land. Basically, as someone else whose blog I read said, the Nintendo Land concept is outright repugnant to a lot of the 'mainstream', because it's neither 'real' Nintendo franchises nor 'semi real world' style Miis.

This sums it up well:

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2012/06/20/nintendo-land-is-no-wii-sports/

Wii Sports and such sold to a different kind of gamer, one who didn't want overly Nintendo/video game themed experiences. Actual Nintendo IPs sell to people who want some sort of fun escapism. Nintendo Land on the other hand, appeals to neither audience.

Game & Wario would at least be somewhat more acceptable in that sense, because for the people who aren't Wario fans, the characters are both interesting and not overly recognisable.

Sadly, both games don't have enough content that I would consider them "full" games. At least Nintendo Land didn't feel like that at all. And Game&Wario doesn't seem to have much more either. Even less so if you subtract the games you won't be coming back to after beating them once.

Back