So, why is Ashley so popular again?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
I have to say, I never quite understood this.

I can understand the popularity of 9-Volt and 18-Volt, it's likely due to the fact their microgames are entirely retro Nintendo themed and how their personalities are... well, like a lot of Nintendo fans.

Wario and Wario Man are obvious, they're the main character of the series.

Mona/Jimmy T/Orbulon/Kat and Ana/etc are kind of obvious too, they first appeared in the first game in the series and have been a major part of the franchise ever since. People tend to remember things and people from the first installment in the series more than sequels, just ask all the Donkey Kong 'fans' who only likely remember the first game or the very few references to Wario Land outside of the fandom that tend to just stick Rice Beach in as a level and be done with it.

But Ashley's popularity I always found a bit unexplained. Is the character a good character? Oh sure. But given how she only appeared in the fourth title onwards, didn't even appear in some of the later installments and for the most part was... just another WarioWare Inc employee in role, her popularity among certain fans has always baffled me a bit.

Any ideas?

I have to say, I never quite understood this.
People tend to remember things and people from the first installment in the series more than sequels, just ask all the Donkey Kong 'fans' who only likely remember the first game or the very few references to Wario Land outside of the fandom that tend to just stick Rice Beach in as a level and be done with it.

Touched! was by far the best-selling WW in Japan, so that may have been a factor. Anyway...

-Theme song
-Theme song
-Theme song being in brawl
there may be a less savory explanation

Touched! was by far the best-selling WW in Japan, so that may have been a factor. Anyway...

-Theme song
-Theme song
-Theme song being in brawl
there may be a less savory explanation

Heh, I understand the theme song part. Although that does make wonder why say, Mike doesn't have quite as many fans online.

And WarioWare Touched being the most popular WarioWare game in Japan? Yeah, that might have something to do with it Japanese fandom wise.

She's a "Magical Girl", which are very popular in nerd culture.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalGirl

Not according to TV Tropes she's not.

But there are probably some characteristics that do make her popular with an internet audience. Like being ambiguously 'evil' in some sense, since it seems the internet loves characters who are sort of 'dark' but not quite as evil as an actual villain. Just see the popularity of a lot of anti heroes and slightly axe crazy female characters.

And obviously her gender probably has something to do with it. A character being female in any Nintendo game seems to roughly double the size of their fanbase.

Back