The Ashley Minigame in G&W is a Parody?

Crescent-Moon Villager

Nameless moon-presence
I've been big into shoot-em-up games recently, and as I was digging through the internet looking for games, I came across the Cotton series.

Cotton_-_1991_-_Sega.jpg

It's a series of horizontally-scrolling cute-em-up games where you play as a witch on a broomstick and shoot forward. They were apparently really big in Japan (and still are? I dunno).

Do you think the Ashley minigame is a parody of it? Or the similarities are just a coincidence?

I wouldn't dismiss it but I'm not sure if it's really more than a coincidence. I'm not familiar with the Cotton series, any other similarities that might back this up?

I'm not sure about it, probably just a huge coincidence. I have no clue to what the Cotton games are, maybe there are more similarities between this Cotton game and Ashley's game?

or just shooting things with your hand/finger? Does this Cotton game include front flips and back flips? Flying cookies maybe? :3

Since you are so lazy to check yourself I took it into my own hands to do it and there are no more similarities, the only similar thing is both of them are witches on brooms that shoot things and both meet like a final boss at the end of each stage.

Cotten looks to play nothing like Ashley's game.

I could not wait for the answer so I just did a super, very fast no effort search on Google and just watched some videos real fast to give out the answer that Moon couldn't provide until awhile, but I don't have "awhile"

Whatever, I gave out the answer already. There are no other similarities between the game, calling them similar is a stretch on it's own.

The game plays nothing like Ashley's game, Ashley's game is an auto-shoot dodge game while collecting orbs.

This game is just...shoot everything while aiming and get to the end.

If Cotton didn't have a witch on a broom this thread wouldn't be calling it a parody.

(I'm salty right now...)

The Ashley minigame doesn't play anything like or ressemble Cotton (or any other hori cute em up like Trouble Witches,Harmful Park or Parodius, for that matter). It's not really a shmup even, if anything, it plays like Nights in 2D.

Back