[Poll] The Phenotype Thread

Characteristics you display :o

• Total voters

tahutoa

Has "it." Fragile musician. Odd, means well.
By far, the most interesting module in Biology was the one about alleles, genotype, and phenotype. (For those who don't know or don't remember, the difference is: Genotype is the physical characteristics on the inside, phenotype is what others see. For example, the stuff that incites ADD versus what inspires grey-blue-green-brown (they like to shift) eyes.) Seeing how all the different alleles apply from person to person is part of what makes it interesting.

So, I figured: why not host a poll for this sort of thing.
There are 22 options, and 11 choices to be entered in. Ten, if you don't know your blood type.
Of course, you may find it 'too revealing', or whatever-- you don't have to participate.

Apparently, did you know that humans are technically supposed to have fuckin' six fingers on each hand? That is the dominant trait, after all.

Hrm, I wonder which genes cause Wario's hair and mustache to be two different colors.

Last edited:
Apparently, the rundown for this sort of thing is actually weird as hell. Apparently, all things considered, humans are supposed to ALL be Dwarves from Lord of the Rings. If you put together an entirely recessive gened human, though, you would have Hitler's dream Aryan.

How is it that the contrast could be this extreme? Biology's fuckin' weird sometimes.

what the fuck.png

Apparently, did you know that humans are technically supposed to have fuckin' six fingers on each hand? That is the dominant trait, after all.
This is a risky assumption to make since a dominant genotype doesn't equal better phenotypes in genetics. What makes a gene variation dominant or recessive is simply whether or not its biological factors trump the expression of other variations of that one gene. Factors like fitness, which is how that trait makes it easier/harder to survive until mating, are irrelevant to dominant and recessive descriptions. Going off of your example with 6 fingers (called polydactyly), the reason why it's so rare now is because the ones who had 6 fingers couldn't mate to pass on their dominant hand genes to their kids for whatever reason; either because having an extra finger made it harder to survive, potential mates/communities didn't find it attractive and exiled them, etc.
How is it that the contrast could be this extreme? Biology's fuckin' weird sometimes.

View attachment 9349
What I said about polydactyly also applies to all of these dominant traits too. At some point these traits died off and became less common for whatever reason, although with most of these it's pretty obvious to see how they'd hurt someone's chances of living to and reaching reproduction.

This is a risky assumption to make since a dominant genotype doesn't equal better phenotypes in genetics. What makes a gene variation dominant or recessive is simply whether or not its biological factors trump the expression of other variations of that one gene. Factors like fitness, which is how that trait makes it easier/harder to survive until mating, are irrelevant to dominant and recessive descriptions. Going off of your example with 6 fingers (called polydactyly), the reason why it's so rare now is because the ones who had 6 fingers couldn't mate to pass on their dominant hand genes to their kids for whatever reason; either because having an extra finger made it harder to survive, potential mates/communities didn't find it attractive and exiled them, etc.

What I said about polydactyly also applies to all of these dominant traits too. At some point these traits died off and became less common for whatever reason, although with most of these it's pretty obvious to see how they'd hurt someone's chances of living to and reaching reproduction.
I just meant "supposed" in terms of 'dominant traits are super overpowering', but I can see why you said that. And yeah, all the stuff you're talking about I more-or-less knew going in, but hey, now I don't have to write it :p

I still don't know my own blood type, fuckin' RIP.
Well, to be fair, I don't either, but it's probably going to be A or B, especially since if I recall correctly, 1/3 of the world's population is A+
I should prolly take those out though, cuz those are genotype, and not phenotype.

Back