Wait, there are Wario fans who don't like 18 Volt?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Yeah... this is just stupid. From TV Tropes:

18-Volt from WarioWare is pretty obviously a stereotype of a black man—though not necessarily a negative one. He's more like a would-be rapper, complete with boom box and gold teeth. However, some players still dislike him, considering his only lines of dialogue are "word" (Nintendo's understanding of rap culture? Hulk Speak? Who knows?) and he seems like an arbitrary addition to 9-Volt, a more developed character.

from

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EthnicScrappy

Someone is seriously so stupid and irrational to complain that 18 Volt is somehow a stereotype or badly designed? Okay then.

It's even funnier given that (at least as far as I know), there are no Wario fans out there who absolutely hate this character. So the whole 'some' aspect seems completely stupid as hell. And his personality isn't really too stereotypical. Yes he has a boombox and looks a bit like a black person. But his defining trait is the same as 9 Volt... he's a Nintendo fan/gamer pastiche, of the older type who doesn't care much for school and just wants to play games all day.

He's arguably closer in characterisation to the old kid in Monster Squad than a traditional 'rapper' stereotype.

But yeah, anyone else find this stupid?

Honestly I doubt that the troper who wrote this is even a Wario fan.
As for 18-Volt beeing a stereotype... wow, just wow, I habe read a lot of stupid things on TV Tropes, but this might just take the cake...
Especially the boom box argument, he likes music like 9-Volt, that's why they became friends in the first place and it's not even that big of a part of his character (past Smooth Moves anyway) ...

I've read worse "criticism" (which was probably trolling): they think he's bad because he's "teaching kids to continue to play video games and not grow up". I don't need I need to explain why is this wrong on every level.

But yeah, probably not even Wario fans.

I like 18-Volt. Him & 9-Volt make a great pair. ^^
I really liked their story in Smooth Moves. It was actually pretty sweet. :)
I don't think he's a bad, wasted or stereotypical character. At least he's not more stereotypical than the other characters. ^^

Also I love his WW: Twisted voice clips. XP

Back