what is your favorite wario land game

Mine is Wario Land 4. And many people here on Wario Forums would agree with that.

It's just such a good game: the gameplay is awesome, the levels are gorgeous, the bosses are funny, and the game is not too hard (at least not on normal mode) nor too short, even though it has only eighteen stages. Plus the cutscenes are nice, and the music is really great and also worth to casually listen to. It's just as great as that of the more well-known Nintendo titles.

In short, Wario Land = best Wario game ever, and IMO also one of the best ever GBA games. If you haven't played it before, you definitely should. If you can't find a physical copy or don't have a GBA, try the e-shop of a more recent console. It's just too great to miss out on, and you won't regret playing it.

Yeah, I got a physical copy of WL4 about a week ago or so and I've had a lot of fun with it. So far I've beaten WL2 and WL3. The 3DS sadly doesn't have virtual console GBA games on the e-shop. (even though the 3DS would be able to handle it) The music isn't as good in WL4 as the previous 3 games, but the gameplay and some of the music is great. So far WL4 is definitely on the shorter side as you said, but the collectables and trying to 100% the game should help lengthen the game.

(even though the 3DS would be able to handle it)

Never understood this either, but it didn't really bother me, as I already had a GBA looong before I purchased my 3DS (for which I also had the main reason of being able to play certain games from earlier consoles, especially the GBC, as the main reason behind buying it.) and prefer to play games on their original console as much as possible.

I feel as if WL1 is more related to Mario Land 2 than the Wario Land series. (in retrospect) I think some of the powerups are really cool and I do like the music.

Well, that's not surprising, given that Wario Land 1's official title is Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 and therefore technically part of both series.
And yes, the power-ups were cool, and IMO perfectly tailored to both the character of Wario and the series itself, even though they were quickly abandoned after Virtual Boy Wario Land. The music is a little bit simplistic to my view, though. The GameBoy can do much better. If you want to hear real GameBoy music, give a listen to the soundtrack of either of the Donkey Kong Land games. These pushed the system limitations of the music department to its limits as much as their SNES conterparts did.

Well, that's not surprising, given that Wario Land 1's official title is Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 and therefore technically part of both series.
And yes, the power-ups were cool, and IMO perfectly tailored to both the character of Wario and the series itself, even though they were quickly abandoned after Virtual Boy Wario Land. The music is a little bit simplistic to my view, though. The GameBoy can do much better. If you want to hear real GameBoy music, give a listen to the soundtrack of either of the Donkey Kong Land games. These pushed the system limitations of the music department to its limits as much as their SNES conterparts did.
Yeah, I was gonna mention that its title was Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, but I just deemed it unnecessary to my message. However, I'm glad you brought it up in my place. Regarding the preference of playing on the original consoles: I would prefer that too and I already do that for Game Boy Advance games, however (as you probably know) Game Boy cartridges use battery backed memory. So I wouldn't be able to save my games. This wouldn't be a problem if I had a soldering iron, but I don't own one. I own a GBA which I use to play my Game Boy Advance games, so I technically would be able to play Game Boy cartridges without emulating it. Maybe I'll try seeing if I can pick up a refurbished copy of some GB game on ebay and seeing how it runs compared to on my 3ds.

You mentioned Donkey Kong Land? Seems like an interesting game. Maybe I'll buy it.

You mentioned Donkey Kong Land? Seems like an interesting game. Maybe I'll buy it.

It's actually a series. Donkey Kong Land is a trilogy of games that can be considered the Game Boy counterparts of the SNES Donkey Kong Country games. They are often overlooked and incorrectly viewed as simply "ports", but they are whole games of their own.
Because of the limitations of the Game Boy compared to the SNES, the worlds of the Land games are different, with many new worlds being created by combining worlds from the Country games, and the levels are often entirely new too. The bosses are mostly the same, just simpler (though not neccessarily easier), and many elements from the Country games are absent, or work differently.
This does not mean that they are not as challenging, or less likeable. They have a certain charm in being somewhat simpler and shorter, while still being games that pushed the Game Boy capabilities to their absolute limits. (As a matter of fact, the only Game Boy game - or actually a
GBC game, but the GBC is technically-wise just a regular Game Boy with a colour screen - that I've played so far that surpasses the DK Land games is Shantae, a non-Nintendo game)
The first Land game is the most different, being only rather loosely based on
DKC1, and IMO also the least good one, but it has its charms too, and is a great option if you want to play a "DKC game without playing DKC". The best one is arguably Donkey Kong Land 2, which is also the hardest, so I suggest playing the much easier DK Land 3 first.

It's actually a series. Donkey Kong Land is a trilogy of games that can be considered the Game Boy counterparts of the SNES Donkey Kong Country games. They are often overlooked and incorrectly viewed as simply "ports", but they are whole games of their own.
Because of the limitations of the Game Boy compared to the SNES, the worlds of the Land games are different, with many new worlds being created by combining worlds from the Country games, and the levels are often entirely new too. The bosses are mostly the same, just simpler (though not neccessarily easier), and many elements from the Country games are absent, or work differently.
This does not mean that they are not as challenging, or less likeable. They have a certain charm in being somewhat simpler and shorter, while still being games that pushed the Game Boy capabilities to their absolute limits. (As a matter of fact, the only Game Boy game - or actually a
GBC game, but the GBC is technically-wise just a regular Game Boy with a colour screen - that I've played so far that surpasses the DK Land games is Shantae, a non-Nintendo game)
The first Land game is the most different, being only rather loosely based on
DKC1, and IMO also the least good one, but it has its charms too, and is a great option if you want to play a "DKC game without playing DKC". The best one is arguably Donkey Kong Land 2, which is also the hardest, so I suggest playing the much easier DK Land 3 first.
I appreciate you giving me advice on which games to buy next. I'm thinking about maybe buying the gb version first then the snes version? Or maybe the snes version first. I can't decide. (im more leaning towards the gb version first though) I'm probably gonna buy them all eventually if I like the first game though.

I need to play 4... I have only played 3 and Shake It! and 4 looks amazing, even if every level shares the same Hurry Up! theme unlike the one on the Wii where each one is unique.

I appreciate you giving me advice on which games to buy next. I'm thinking about maybe buying the gb version first then the snes version? Or maybe the snes version first. I can't decide. (im more leaning towards the gb version first though) I'm probably gonna buy them all eventually if I like the first game though.
I forgot to say, but there's also a GameBoy Color port of Donkey Kong Country 1 that, because of the system limitations, is actually much closer to DK Land 1, such as borrowing many soundtracks from it, and the controls being mostly the same. It's a pretty bad version though, and it's a complete mystery to me why they even decided that porting such an innovating 2.5D game to the GBC would be a good idea, but it's still worth trying if you like raw, unpolished get-to-the-point no-nonsense versions of more sophisticated game experiences.

I think either Wario Land: Shake it or Wario Land 4. Shake it was my first Wario game and i loved it. The art style, music and gameplay were all excellent! Wario Land 4 was also a lot of fun. The graphics and gameplay were all great as well. Overall, both amazing games in my books!

Back