What was it with making games all gritty through 2004-2006?

My best guess is it was just a phase gaming went through. There's another discussion going on with the saturation of 8 bit style games that's been happening, and I think given the environment gaming is, people just like to throw things against the wall to see how they work out.

Mega Man 9 and Rayman Origins are two great non gritty and recent examples of my latter point.

why is doom 3 on there.

that pac-man world 3 trailer is hilarious tho, I never saw it before! why the hell would you put that kind of music over the trailer of a PAC-MAN game lmao

why is doom 3 on there.

that pac-man world 3 trailer is hilarious tho, I never saw it before! why the hell would you put that kind of music over the trailer of a PAC-MAN game lmao
Well, It went from this:
nitro__s_doom_screenshot_1_by_nitroactivestudios-d3bpppr.png

To this:
doom3_042704_000.jpg

Notice how much "grimmer" Doom 3 looks compared to classic Doom.

Why were late 90s 3D platformers so colorful
It's just a trend it's not like video games don't get affected by trends

All this time, I had no idea Pac-Man had jedi force lightning powers. Wow.

I actually was not aware 2004-06 was like this, though. I actually figured it was a new trend. I dont see too many bright and colorful games anymore. Even with alot of RPGs, I watched someone play Dragons Dogma for 360, and though not as gritty as Doom or whatever, it was still kinda drab looking. Every outfit the characters wore were brown, looked like there was mud everywhere, even the grass was a dull green. Its like gamers hate bright and vivid fantasy worlds.

Back