Why are people blaming Ware, for Warios Smash potrayal?

People always seem to think that he's this sort of wizard who makes games magically appear out of thin air, kinda like Miyamoto. Either that, or they just like having a scapegoat. I'm sure that most people on the team have questioned some of his decisions, and he doesn't automatically "Shut up, bitch!" them if they do.

And need I remind you that character portrayals in Smash are all greenlighted by the original teams behind their games? He said so himself, as the Wario team themselves were okay with this. Keep this in mind if you feel that a certain character seems off.

Problem is... the Wario series doesn't always have one 'team'. Do the same people behind the Land games agree with his WarioWare portrayals? Do the people behind World, Master of Disguise or Shake It agree with anyone else's depiction?

That's not how it works. The main in-house Wario team is focused on WarioWare and easier to reach.

Those are third-party teams that are not as easy to communicate with. And I doubt it's possible to bring all those teams together for this.

I could give less of a crap about who greenlight what and who exactly is to blame.

The reason I blame the Smash team is because the Smash "Wario" that we have today was their braindead idea to begin with and let's be honest, how do you look at Wario's history from 1992-2006 and come out with this abomination:
200px-Wario_Waft_2.jpg

And that's not even getting into his potrayal in Subspace, it's like the entire team hated him and wanted to present him in the worst light possible.

Smash For isn't much better in that regard, we may have evolved from Mr Fart & Watch to Fartrio but then they went out of their way to remove his most iconic move and pushed the fart even more, because appearently the entire team dreams of sucking them.

I don't care if ANY team gave their ok for this, but the stuff that the Smash team came up with is activly trying to be as unfaithful to the character as possible.

Nintendo has always shoved Wario aside. They don't want his "rich history" to be remembered at all. Even the SML games get that. Daisy and Wario's debut aside, they don't want anyone to recognize those games anymore. (Most things from R&D1 have always gotten the shaft, more or less) Nintendo has always treated the Wario Land games like an embarrassment. And that's not even getting into how he'll never be a villain to Mario again, and how Waluigi will never get anything better. (Nintendo has always been unclear as to what they hell they want Wario to be.)

Naturally, for something to be respected in Smash, it has to be respected outside of it first. (At least within Nintendo)

(...always always always always)

Last edited:
I don't understand where you are getting "Nintendo doesn't want Wario's history to be rembered" from.

Take a look at this:
original.jpg

This is from Mario Party 10 an UPCOMING game, just look at all these references, a bit of Land stuff, a bit of Ware stuff and even a bit of Wario World thrown in.

This is just one of many times where delepors have thrown in content from Warios games just to be authentic, they could have easily made it something generic but they went the extra mile instead.

It's particulary notable since the Mario spin offs don't pride themselves as big celebrations of the Marioverses history and yet we still get stuff like this all of the time (including the EAD made Mario Kart series, before you bring them up).

Yeah Smash sucks a big one when it comes to Warios representation, but it's only one series out of many, so as disapointing as it is I can at least dance to Greenhorn Forest's theme in DDR Mario Mix and get my jollys that way.

I really think you shouldn't take Smash as an example of what's important for Nintendo or what Nintendo cares about, because Smash has never been a good representation of Nintendo as a whole, plain and simple.

Well, that team just so happened to be interested in Wario. Some teams can do that, no problem.

And yeah, I try to get this across quite often. Smash Bros. isn't the be-all and end-all of Nintendo franchises. Don't try to expect way too much out of it. Other games do better at franchise history than it as well. Hyrule Warriors does a lot better at Zelda history than Smash does (well, for the most part). There's also Kirby's Dream Collection and the keychains in Triple Deluxe.

Normally, it's games within that franchise itself that lay down most of their history. But when you've got something that's trying to take on quite possibly the greatest video game giant there is, well, good luck.

Last edited:
I never got why people blame Ware for it, considering that Wario isn't really any different here than he is in Land, sure he doesn't get as much action than he does in Land but other than that he is rather unchanged, his buttmonkey moments don't come of as out of character, since Wario(despite all his badass qualitys) is still a silly character at times , I think it gives him a additional edge: silly jerkass in his spare time and an unstopable one man army on his adventures.
Even the vulgarity isn't as prominent as Smash would make you think, Nosepicking has been a habbit of his since his debut and I can only recall one microgame (in Smooth Moves) in which he farted.
The only truly gross moment for me was his first dentist visit in touched and even than: gross up close ups, are a common element of comedy, so it isn't even exclusive to Wario...
Oh, and I don't recall Wario ever walking like Mr.Game & Watch either (unless you are REALLY picky and count the DIY showcase Helmet microgame, but that came out after Brawl, so it couldn't be an influence)...
Ikr??!! Maybe theey should have given him a run from a past wario land. He fights all like choppy and game & Watch style too I think they should have given him a mix of Ware and land

Back