Why do we like Nintendo?

MonaWare

do wa ditty
Diamond City Insider
Ive been thinking about this alot lately : p

Why do you like Nintendo? I have two guys on my "team" at work, one whos a co-worker and our team leader (were under employed : /). Both of them play video games. they usually talk about xbox 360 and xbox one, and I have actually owned a 360 in the past, and I liked a few games for it, but I was never a major fan. One of them likes Nintendo consoles, but really just for Zelda and Mario Kart.

We often talk about consoles and games when we do the early morning shift. One of them seems to think I only like Nintendo games, which isnt right : p I do enjoy Nintendo's games, but I like alot of games : p But Im actually just like a big fan of the hardware itself. Talking with them has really gotten me thinking on why I have a strong preference for Nintendo consoles.

I like Nintendo partially because I grew up with it : p As kids we shared an NES. And when I got older and more capable to actually play video games alone, we got a N64. I played this console for a very long time : p It had alot of great games for it that I really liked, and I became a huge fan of the console, even to the point that as a child I decided I hated anything on the competing console : p

I went on to get a Gamecube when I was older and actually had some money. I was aware that everyone put down the Gamecube : p And people would tell me "someone like you would have better luck with the PS2". But I alreadly trusted the brand so I went with it. I really liked it alot, too. I found many games for it I really enjoyed, in fact most of my all time favorite games are on the Gamecube.

I eventually got a Wii, and of course I became a huge fan of it. Its definitely my top choice for "most underrated console". I have a somewhat diverse taste in games, and it had alot to chose from for me. And in between these systems I actually would get the other consoles here and there. I have actually owned a PS2, PS3, Xbox and Xbox 360 at different times. And while I did enjoy what I had for them, I have had better luck and an easier time with Nintendo consoles. The small libraries help with looking for a new game to play, I dont have to go through countless uninteresting games to find something interesting. And alot of developers would use the Nintendo consoles for new and fun ideas, where youd get this years installment of Final Fantasy for Playstation or Call of Duty for Xbox.

And I like the hardware itself too. You get a good working quality console, you dont have to pay extra for yet /another/ dvd player in the console, and it doesnt have all the bells and whistles I dont care about at all : p I still stand by the Gamecube controller for being the best controller ever made. And the consoles themselves are simple and easy to use.

I honestly just enjoy what Ive found for Nintendo hardware more than any other system : p The games made for the consoles almost always feel the most creative and lively. And the library of Nintendo games (from N64 onward) doesnt feel flooded with junk (some could argue the Wii is, but I still feel its better with this issue than the PS3 and 360 : p).

Do you like Nintendo just for the Nintendo games? Or have you found other reasons to pick the brand over others?

It's mostly to do with my childhood. I grew up playing Nintendo and a bit of Sony. The only PS I ever owned was a PS1, but I've gotten every Nintendo console since the Nintendo 64. I've always had fond memories with characters such as Mario. I remember playing Mario Kart, Smash brothers. Just all kinds of Mario games.

My parents didn't let me get Xbox or a PS, I'm not sure why but I think it's because those platforms had more aged based games where with Nintendo you could mostly never go wrong. I loved to play my Nintendo gamecube too, I loved Mario Sunshine and Luigi's mansion, though I was scared of the ghosts in that game, like to death I still went through it all with my sister by my side.

I've always been a Nintendo player, but I do play Xbox 360 and Xbox one time to time, but not nearly as much as Nintendo consoles. I just love the Mario series to death, I get almost every Mario game that comes out, Mario is always fun to play with my family.

Also I pick Nintendo over the others because they made Ashley. The end!

I feel like Nintendo is more "professional" than other VG companies-- they don't try to be trendy, their games have more polish etc. I don't think I've ever encountered any kind of glitch in a Nintendo game, whereas PC games and other console games have glitches every time you bat your eyes.

Plus Nintendo games are just charming. As an example, I played Skyrim and Skyward Sword at around the same time, and while I thought Skyrim was more fun gameplay-wise, Skyward Sword was more memorable to me because the world of Zelda is just so full of life and creativity. Skyrim is bland and looks and feels like every other western game in existence. Nintendo games have "soul", and aren't afraid to break the mold (excluding all the homogenized, soul-sucked NSMB games, and more recently the Mario RPGs).

I feel like Nintendo is more "professional" than other VG companies-- they don't try to be trendy, their games have more polish etc. I don't think I've ever encountered any kind of glitch in a Nintendo game, whereas PC games and other console games have glitches every time you bat your eyes.

Plus Nintendo games are just charming. As an example, I played Skyrim and Skyward Sword at around the same time, and while I thought Skyrim was more fun gameplay-wise, Skyward Sword was more memorable to me because the world of Zelda is just so full of life and creativity. Skyrim is bland and looks and feels like every other western game in existence. Nintendo games have "soul", and aren't afraid to break the mold (excluding all the homogenized, soul-sucked NSMB games, and more recently the Mario RPGs).

Yeah, and not even just the Nintendo games, even games made by other developers, it seems like they use their Nintendo software for trying out new and creative ideas, over giving you the same game every year.

I actually think not being the mainstream system is what puts Nintendo over the others for me : p It may not have as many games, but it definitely has the most original and creative ones. And not just from Nintendo themselves : p

It seems like most people here like Nintendo for the games they make : p Is there anyone who specifically likes the consoles over others? What do you guys think about the Nintendo consoles compared to the others?

Haha yeah, definitely. I like to talk about how I can put in a cartridge into my N64 and start it up in one attempt : p Nintendo makes really good, durable hardware.

Back