AlphaDream (Mario & Luigi Developers) File for Bankruptcy

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
You've probably seen this on just about every gaming site by this point, but here's a quick reminder/recap none the less:

Basically, the team behind the Mario & Luigi series is now no more. Their official site is down, the company appeared suffered from crippling debts and the future of their series is up in the air now.

It's a depressing fate really, especially given the situation around the Mario RPGs right now. First Paper Mario goes to hell, then we get the company behind the Mario & Luigi series shut down. Feels like the darkest possible timeline to be a fan of those games.

Still, what are your thoughts on it all?

I can't help but really be curious as to what these "high development costs" consist of since they haven't even made any games for HD consoles.

I can't help but really be curious as to what these "high development costs" consist of since they haven't even made any games for HD consoles.

They had a job posting for people with PS4/Switch experience; they also released a mobile game after the BiS remake and the publisher was rather notorious for screwing over the Digeasea mobile game so this may also be related.

I say they were running low on ideas ever since the Year of Luigi, I mean: Bowser kidnaps Peach again? No comeback of Wart? And the remakes that no one asked for (I sort of see why the first M&L) but come on, Bowser's Inside Story? When you could just buy the original and play it on the 3ds.

I say they were running low on ideas ever since the Year of Luigi, I mean: Bowser kidnaps Peach again? No comeback of Wart? And the remakes that no one asked for (I sort of see why the first M&L) but come on, Bowser's Inside Story? When you could just buy the original and play it on the 3ds.

The remakes were probably made because of their financial problems. Much cheaper and more efficient to reuse assets from Dream Team and Paper Jam (with a few tweaks) and remake what worked before on a console you're used to than take a risk and spend years on a new installment.

Unfortunately, it didn't pay off for them.

As a big fan of the Mario and Luigi RPG's, I'm saddened.

Yeah, it's probably some of the worst news a fan of the series could ever hear.

Back