Am I the only one who was disappointed by Smash 4's "custom moves"?

Mario123311

Super Plumber Enthusiast
Personally, I don't have much of a problem with Wario's default moveset in Smash 4, They want him to be more "original" or "unique"? That's fine. He farts as an attack? Honestly, I can't care... What I do care about is the joke that was "custom moves" though, as in this would have been a perfect way to spice up and include some good Wario Land representation. If you're going to remove his Shoulder Bash as his forward smash: At least include a Shoulder Bash side special or even some of his reactions as unlockables. Instead, we sadly get just variants of the same attacks with a few different minor properties. Please note, this doesn't go for Wario: This also goes for almost everyone too such as Pac-Man, Mario even Samus for that matter.

There wouldn't have needed to have Dr. Mario if they just included the tornado as an unlockable for Mario for instance, and Pac-Man lacking the Butt-Bounce and Rev-Roll from his most known platform games? [Pac-Man World] It's just saddening. And to add more insult to injury: Mega Man, Palutena and the Mii's if you count them are pretty much the only one who have actual unique custom moves. Why couldn't they just give the same treatment for the other characters? Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way, honestly.

The Boring answer is that thinking up, programming, and balance what is essentially 16 new attacks (instead of simple variations) for every character would be an huge strain on the game's development time and budget. Smash 4 is a pretty content-bloated game as is. Doesn't quite excuse the odd choices for who do get unique customs, tho!

I don't want to sound hautain, but I have a feeling the people complaining SMash 4 doesn't have 60+ characters, 5 new remixes for every stages... etc don't realize how content-heavy it is compared to other fightans, and how much money and time goes into making videogames : p.

I suspecct few here will disagree wario's customs are a missed opportunity, tho.

Last edited:
No you weren't. I was expecting more interesting moves with that gimmick too.

And yes, while it'd take time to program all those or make all this content... the point of Smash Bros is to go above and beyond the norm. Melee felt like it did. Brawl felt like it did in about 75% of the game. Smash Bros 4... feels like it has a bunch of good ideas that weren't really fleshed out well enough.

And yes, while it'd take time to program all those or make all this content... the point of Smash Bros is to go above and beyond the norm. Melee felt like it did. Brawl felt like it did in about 75% of the game. Smash Bros 4... feels like it has a bunch of good ideas that weren't really fleshed out well enough.
The reason Melee felt so different from Brawl and Smash 4 in most aspects was because it was handled by a different kind of team. For such a short time frame, they really DID go above and beyond what you'd expect. (Keep in mind that HAL Sakurai wasn't the same as Sora Sakurai.)

I think the customs are awesome considering they were balanced too.
HD stages are hard, please understand
Even if they are DLC? I know there's a deadline but there have been almost ten if not ten patches already.
The reason Melee felt so different from Brawl and Smash 4 in most aspects was because it was handled by a different kind of team. For such a short time frame, they really DID go above and beyond what you'd expect. (Keep in mind that HAL Sakurai wasn't the same as Sora Sakurai.)
Well I think I could understand that. So do you think the pressure on him (Sakurai) was different in the way his team treated him? Is that why he was considering the ending of the Smash series? Yeah I agree each version of Smash improved a lot based upon the original concept and they really thought of everything to improve their product and they did it. Yeah I could understand if you had a game you struggled with on working with and then you were full of enough adrenaline that you made a really neat game where you put glitches (Ness Yo-Yo glitch and wavedashing and teching) in on purpose in order to put the game out in time by debugging other stuff. But also with the technological improvements from then to now it's much easier to make a bigger game because you may have more tools in you kit to work with therefore making things is much more convenient and you can spend the rest of your time debugging and tweaking and patching.

Back