Anyone dislike how time doesn't stop in cutscenes...

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
In Wario Land Shake It?

That always screwed me up in the final boss battle, since the mid battle cutscene still had the timer ticking down despite you not really being able to speed it up.

Same went for the cutscene before the final boss in Wario Land 1.

I never had an issue with the time in Wario Land Shake it.

Though I do remember running out of time just after I beat the final boss in the first Wario Land.

I'll never understand why it isn't a no-brainer to stop the time limit when shit like that's happening. It's the same with Super Castlevania IV, for example, in that even after you defeat Dracula, the timer's still going and this can lead to Simon dying if you don't have the right amount of time to let the cutscene roll over. It's just the dumbest thing, I would've assumed devs would be aware of the clock as they were making the cutscenes or whatever, to me that would be vital to ensure that it was fair.

I mean really, can you imagine if when you bought an item or transformation from Shokora before a boss fight in Wario Land 4, the clock was ticking as she was still attacking the boss? It'd defeat the purpose entirely.

Then again, it's a bit nicer than how Yoshi's Island DS did this. That game outright trolled the player in time trials by not only never stopping the clock (including in boss fight cutscenes and while reading text boxes), but also by replacing them with messages like this one:

And there's one more important piece of advice for you. So listen up! Time keeps on ticking even as you are reading this message!

Or:

Lost time!

Still, it was somewhat amusing though.

God, Yoshi's Island DS seems like exactly the kind of game to do that. I wholeheartedly HATE that game.

Tell you what, now's just about the only time I'll get to talk about this, so I will real quick: I don't think there was any real point in Yoshi's Island becoming a series, and I say that because not one of the games that came after the original ever surpassed it. Don't get me wrong, some good games have come out of it, but none of them really came close to Yoshi's Island on the SNES. And no, I don't say that out of nostalgia or any shit like that; I actually played Yoshi's Island much later than DS and Yoshi's Story.

I don't mind it in the games you guys mentioned but you know where I do hate it? In Luigi's Mansion.
When you try to pick up money the fucking timer that makes the money disappear keeps going while Luigi does his animations for picking up the big gems.
I HATE that!
It's the worst in the secret room where you get 3 fucking gems and you can only get everything if you suck up all the money BEFORE getting them.
And I'm a perfectionist when it comes to that game.

Back