Anyone else like how non 'typical' Wario Land games are?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Basically, how they neatly avoid every 'platformer' cliche you can think of?

Cause I do. The settings they take place in (as I mentioned before) are either more subtle/realistic or more quirky than the norm (you don't have any 'themed' worlds here). The bosses are unique, unlike the rather bland typical designs you see in other platformers. Wario's refreshingly down to earth in his attitude, being a greedy and amoral anti hero rather than some knight in shining armour that rushes into action after a damsel he's never previously met.

It's just a lot more interesting than other 2D platformer franchises. And heck, even Wario Land Shake It succeeds here, to some degree. The levels are laid out in a more realistic way than other platformers (no themed worlds, just levels that mostly make sense in the same area), and even the cliched ones are at least beautifully done:

Technicly, Wario Land 1 and Wario Land 2 both have themed worlds.

But as i already sayd before, the worlds themselves are really interesting.

What i love more thought is the structure of the games. The branching story in WL2, the Open World Metroidvania in WL3. Even WL4, which is disapointinly really short, i love the structure. I love having 4 parallel paths, you can do a level in a passage, leave and do a level in a different passage. I love how the game starts with dialog-less langaudge-free tutorials, and ends with final exams

Technicly, Wario Land 1 and Wario Land 2 both have themed worlds.

But as i already sayd before, the worlds themselves are really interesting.

What i love more thought is the structure of the games. The branching story in WL2, the Open World Metroidvania in WL3. Even WL4, which is disapointinly really short, i love the structure. I love having 4 parallel paths, you can do a level in a passage, leave and do a level in a different passage. I love how the game starts with dialog-less langaudge-free tutorials, and ends with final exams

Wario Land 1 is more like Super Mario World, in my opinion. Technically themed, but layed out like a real place without things like a desert next to a snowy mountain and mordor.

Wario Land 1 is more like Super Mario World, in my opinion. Technically themed, but layed out like a real place without things like a desert next to a snowy mountain and mordor.
That's what I hated about New Super Mario Bros. U.
They claimed the game took place in one huge interconnected world but in reality it was just the same 8 "traditional" NSMB world taped together with no thought or fucks given.
In Super Mario World all locations made sense. Islands, fields, mountains, caves, water areas, forests,... all locations you could find on an ilsand.

Back