Anyone else wish more Wario Land games had a sound test?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Seriously, Wario Land Shake It was brilliant in this sense, having the music for a level unlocked by beating all the missions was a surprisingly clever move on the game designers' part, since it meant those people who liked the songs could listen to their favourites over and over (and those people on Youtube could record them and post them on the internet in a better level of quality).

Unfortunately, very few of the OTHER games did this. Wario Land 1 could probably be forgiven in this sense (it was early enough that I doubt sound test/jukebox technology in video games was particularly good), but in the later games, it meant hearing some of the great songs was an absolute pain, especially the boss ones.

As for Wario Land 4, I both really like and really hate what it did with the sound test all at the same time. I mean, on the one hand, having an unlockable music room with all original music you can't hear elsewhere shows a significant amount of effort that very few other devs could bother putting in. That's cool!

But on the other hand, it kind of sucked because the level music itself was extremely catchy. So I guess it needed a second music room to go with the first one?

Above: Especially in the case of this level, where the sound effects meant we couldn't hear it properly til WarioWare was released.

So yeah, does anyone else wish more Wario Land games had a proper sound test?

I wish EVERY game had that. It can't be that complicated to put a simple little menu into the game
that plays every song and sound effect (just like in the kirby games).
That would be really awesome.

No kidding. The fact some games still don't have any better way to let you hear music than replay the levels and hope sound effects don't drown it out is ridiculous.

I'm looking at you, every Mario game ever made (and most Zelda titles). And Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.

Back