Are there any character swapping Wario Land hacks?

Nintengasm

Hocus Pocus!
I've seen ROM hacks of Mario games that replace him with Sonic, Pikachu, whoever you can think of, but you'd think the same would happen with Wario Land eventually. I've never seen anything, though. Do they exist? I think even replacing Wario with Mario would be interesting.

No idea, though I consider those ROM hacks extremely lazy unless the character swap has something to do with the hack being completely different and new (as in this new character has new behaviors and abilities that isn't just mimicking Wario). Honestly, doing a character swap (or model swap) isn't very hard or challenging to do.

Not as far as I know. ROM Hacking.net (and other such sites) barely have any Wario game hacks to begin with.

Not as far as I know. ROM Hacking.net (and other such sites) barely have any Wario game hacks to begin with.

Speaking of that, that's not entirely surprising for Wario Land 2 and 3. It's pretty hard to really do a lot with it since the games are more puzzle based than anything (both which are designed extremely well using every idea they probably could've), aside of making harder versions of both games I don't really see what new creative things hackers could do with those.

Now Wario Land 1 and 4 I feel have a ton of potential, I wish we had some cool concepts and hacks for those.

Last edited:
Speaking of that, that's not entirely surprising for Wario Land 2 and 3. It's pretty hard to really do a lot with it since the games are more puzzle based than anything (both which are designed extremely well using every idea they probably could've), aside of making harder versions of both games I don't really see what new creative things hackers could do with those.

Now Wario Land 1 and 4 I feel have a ton of potential, I wish we had some cool concepts and hacks for those.

I think the lack of a good editor is what hurts them most. Super Mario World has Lunar Magic, NSMB Wii has Reggie, NSMB DS and U have editors I can't remember the names of, and Mario 64 has Toad's Tool and Quad64.

Wario Land 1? Nothing I can name. And Wario Land 4 didn't have an editor for years, with @shinespeciall's current project being the first true tool for hacking the game in general.

I actually happen to have a rom hack of Wario Land 2 that I made awhile ago that replaces Wario with Donkey Kong. If you apply the ips patch attached, you can try it out yourself by playing the first level.

DonkeyKong.png

Attachments

• DonkeyKong.zip
    177.5 KB · Views: 326
Back