Are we overdue for a new kind of Mario RPG?

BooDestroyer

Treasure Collector Extraordinaire
As in, not a sequel to SMRPG, not another Paper Mario, and another M&L. Something entirely different.

The latter two seem to be getting a bit played out. Bringing them bother together like that, well, makes me wonder what's next for Mario RPGs.

i don't feel the formula set by the first two papal marios is tired

but it's obvious we're not getting anything like them ever again so

I like both the Mario & Luigi series and the older Paper Mario games. Give me more of both, and I'm not sure I'll ever want a new type of Mario RPG.

It's not so much formula, as much as it is the art style* and brand naming.

*Don't get me started on Super Paper Mario's, but that's a whole other story.

sticker star features a lot of change to the established paper mario aesthetic (most obvious being that most things are made of papercraft, not just the character), and it looks pretty damn good imo. the art wasn't the problem with that game.

No, I'm talking about the art style of the PM and M&L series as a whole.
That we're overdue for a Mario RPG with a different kind of look and formula.

(On another note, who seriously thought it was a good idea to bring Starlow back for the third time?)

Last edited:
(On another note, who seriously thought it was a good idea to bring Starlow back for the third time?)

Twink from Paper Mario was a really great example of a character who appeared once for a completed character arc and then left. I love Twink but I'm grateful that he only made the one appearance before he overstayed his welcome.

Who the fuck cares about Starlow, let alone enough for multiple appearances?

Twink from Paper Mario was a really great example of a character who appeared once for a completed character arc and then left. I love Twink but I'm grateful that he only made the one appearance before he overstayed his welcome.

It's like a modern Navi and FLUDD I guess. .-.

I... don't care much about Starlow one way or the other. I mean, did bringing her back so much make sense? Well not really. But I just focused on the humour from the likes of Fawful, Popple, Midbus and the Massif Bros rather than focusing on the boring exposition fairy.

Which makes me think how hilariously awesome it'd be to have a Mario RPG where the sidekick is... Fawful. I can only imagine how funny Dream Team would have been if Fawful had stood in for Starlow in every single appearance.

I feel that way about most of the Mario RPGs OCs, to be honest. Like yeah, Goombella is a Good Character. She also has an actual character arc with a begining and an end. She's played her role well in the context of that one game, and I have no desire to see her again.

That's how I feel about most one-off characters and ideas in many games in general. They were good for the games that they did appear in and don't need to come back again. This is also why I feel like I don't need any more Kirby games after Return to Dream Land and Triple Deluxe; It feels like the series has done everything that it could after these games.

However, one character I'd have loved to see appear in Dream Team was Prince Peasley. I mean, holy shit. That was nothing short of the perfect opportunity to bring him back. But he just missed that boat...

Back