Can a show be episodic and linear/serial simultaneously

Baker Man

Already F'd up 2025 gonna be my year
Episodic meaning the episodes are there own story, such as Tom and Jerry, linear meaning the episodes are all one big story, like Breaking Bad. I'm wondering if they're mutually exclusive, or if, for example, Pokemon can be considered both, because the episodes are one big story, but you can tune in to any episode, and you won't feel that confused about the missing context.

Futurama was like that yeah, a lot of it's episodes are self contained stories, but it also contains and overarching plot and many of the things they did ended up having outcomes later on or served for character development.
Well at least that's how it was pre HBOMax revival, no idea what they're gonna do with it now. kinda sad about that return tbh the ending was kino shit
Additionally you could also kind of count Serial Experiments Lain, because of the fact that most of it's episodes are techno satire stuff but it does have an overarching plot, but you can watch pretty much any episode and go "oh yeah, this is about technology being insane huh?"

Any 'monster of the week' show. Doctor Who, Star Trek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc.

Oh yeah, and if you need a cartoon example, Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated is a great example too.

Any 'monster of the week' show. Doctor Who, Star Trek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc.

Oh yeah, and if you need a cartoon example, Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated is a great example too.
on the topic of "monster of the week" shows, i've heard primal is really good

oh yeah i've heard nothing but praise for Primal, it's art style looks impressive as hell and i kind of want to try watching it

Back