Clone Consoles

SurrealBrain

I like Amitie.
Ah, yes, clone consoles. They're a thing.

See those Retrons in the stores? They're an example. The SupaBoy? A clone console handheld.

Been looking at them. Specifically, the Retro Duo and the Retro Trio. The reason? I want to play some Japanese games, especially Madou Monogatari, though Super Back to the Future II catches my interest. I still have my old SNES, but it can't play Japanese games, and I'm afraid to damage the thing trying to disable the region lock.

I hear the Retro Duo is pretty good. The Retro Trio might be good too, as long as you don't play it in HD.

As for the Retrons, I don't know how good they are, if at all.

Thoughts?

I still have my old SNES, but it can't play Japanese games, and I'm afraid to damage the thing trying to disable the region lock.

The region-locking on the SNES wasn't software based, so you don't need to do any modding. You can buy a converter, or simply clip some plastic on the Super Famicom cartridges.

Maybe. Still, the old SNES has been through enough as is. I think it's finally showing its age.

Also, I just learned a better version of one game exists on the Sega Gene...Mega Drive! (Japanese names, what can you do?). I have one Sega Genesis that refuses to take in certain cords, and another with poor emulation.

And I don't have an NES. So it might still be worth my consideration. Still.

well if you do go with a clone console, don't get a retron 5

Not because of its quality as hardware (I don't own any clones, so I don't feel comfortable speaking beyond strictly factual statements) but because its makers used the source code for several emulators without permission-all with open source licenses that explicitely forbid commercial usage- and only ade a laughable non-apology when the word got out. Don't support shitty bussiness practices.

I'm aware of that. I also learned of some hardware issues with the pins, so I might regret getting a Retron 5 even if I chose to ignore the other problems.

I actually tried a Retro Duo. Don't have one, but my brother does. It seems to do the job, though according to my brother, the controllers that come with it are crap. Fortunately, you can use real SNES controllers on it, which is what he let me use.

The Retro Trio is made by the same people as the Retro Duo. What I'm seeing is mostly positive.

Last edited:
I got my Retro Trio (sorry, Super Retro Trio) in the mail a while ago. Figure I'll post my impressions.

First thing I notice is that it feels lighter than the SNES, funny considering it's essentially three consoles in one.

Then I plug it in. Then I decide to pop in good ol' Super Mario RPG in there. It runs the game very well. In fact, it looks and sounds exactly how I remember it.

Then I try the Sega Genesis slot. Pop in Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (got the cart as a birthday present). Sounds perfect, unlike AtGames' Genesis clone.

Then I get Super Puyo Puyo in the mail. It works quite well on this thing.

I haven't tried the NES slot, however. While I have played NES games, and own some ports of them, I never owned an NES or its cartridges. I think I'll update my thoughts when I get the experience, however.

There's also a region switch on the console for the Genesis games. As I don't own a Mega Drive cart (only some Genesis ones), I don't know how well it works.

Still, so far, this has been serving me well, and I am loving my experience with it. My only gripes, however, are the lack of Famicom cartridge compatibility (or so I hear), and the controllers the console comeswith.

The controllers are okayish, I guess, but they feel kinda flimsy. Not to mention kinda off. On the plus side, however, the console fully supports Genesis, SNES and NES controllers, so you can use those instead. I've been looking at some aftermarket SNES pads, and it seems like the CirKa and TTX pads are good choices, plus they're not expensive. I love the old Pelican controllers I grew up with, but they're, well, old.

Overall, though, while time will tell if this sticks, so far, I can safely say I can finally give the old SNES a good rest. I'll never get rid of it, especially since it's been with me since I was a baby, but it's showing its age.

Last edited:
Figure I dust this thread off.

Well, I did finally get a few NES games, though they're not the ones with known issues.

The first and second TMNT NES games do work. Can't speak for the third, though.

But of course, I just remembered another clone console I have experience with; the Retron 3.

Now, I initially intended to give that one to my cousin as a Christmas present back in 2015. How did that work out?

The build quality seems a bit sturdier than the Super Retro Trio.

But I decided to actually test the thing. Star Fox and Super Puyo Puyo worked. But I put in Super Mario RPG, and it just would not run.

I mentioned that the Super Retro Trio did work with the game. I stuck it in there just to be sure the cartridge didn't kick the bucket. It didn't; the game still worked fine on the Super Retro Trio, yet it refused to even start up on the Retron 3.

The positive is that like the Super Retro Trio, the Retron 3 lets you use original controllers. It also comes with wireless controllers, but I never used them; I just used the Cirka controller I already had.

Regardless, the lack of Super Mario RPG compatibility convinced me to return the thing and get my cousin a Retro Duo instead. That thing can run Super Mario RPG, at least.

So yeah, I wouldn't get the Retron 3 if you wanna play Super Mario RPG on a clone.

Another clone I got experience with? I mentined the SupaBoy earlier, and I kinda wanna talk about it.

What is this thing? Basically, a portable Super NES. You can play SNES games on it.

It works with Super Mario RPG, Super Puyo Puyo and Star Fox, and has worked with every other cart I tossed at it.

But I need to mention this; the thing is massive. Makes sense; the cartridges were never originally designed for portablility, so the thing has a good excuse to be big.

It also has two controller ports and an AV cable, so you can play it on the TV like a real SNES. So if you need to replace your old SNES, there's worse options.

Now, I had a few issues I had with the thing; one, when putting in Super Mario RPG, I noticed all the saves were suddenly deleted. Apparently, this occurs if you turn it on too fast.

So my advice is to pretend you're the sloths from Zootopia when turning it on or off. Haven't experienced that issue since then, probably thanks to this method.

Second of all? The D-pad is servicable, but kinda clunky. And while you can use original Super NES controllers on it, it's kinda impractical when playing on the go.

Also, the screen, while once again servicable, also isn't so great. I accepted it, of course, but if you wanted it to look exactly as it does on a TV, well, tough luck.

And last but not least, cartridges that aren't in the best of shapes can rattle and disrupt your experience easily, even with the slide that supposedly prevents that. Said slide is completely useless on Super Famicom games as well; clearly, a device made for the Americans.

But overall? It's a neat little device, at least the newer models, since apparently, older models have even more issues that were apparently resolved in my unit.

Though even my unit is kinda outdated; since then, they released one that has a bigger screen and a region switch. I can't speak for that model, especially the region switch, but hopefully they retained most of the positives while fixing the negatives, though the screen is widescreen, which means a stretched image, and with no way to adjust it, it introduces a new problem right there.

Still, something to consider. I'd give it a 4/5.

Note: I'm aware of the device known as the Retro Duo Portable. I haven't tried that one yet, though it looks sleeker (though some may find the SupaBoy to look more "authentic," so to speak; I think so), and apparently at least some of the same positives. But as I don't own one, I can't speak for it. Maybe when I get a new job, it'll be something to consider.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...per_retro_boy_an_all-in-one_game_boy_solution

So basically, Retro-Bit is coming out with a new device that's in essence, a new Game Boy Advance, called the Super Retro Boy.

My thoughts on this? It looks neat, and I'd been waiting for something like this. The L and R buttons being on the front though, will take some getting used to...assuming it's like that in the final product (since they claim they're showing a prototype).

Still, can't wait to see how it fares. There are gamers out there who woukd prefer something newer than a GBA SP to play these games on portably, yet still do so legally. So I'm for the concept.

But the execution? Well, the thing I hope for is that even if it sucks, it'll inspire the competition to do better, because the execution is where it really matters.

Last edited:
I have a bit of an interest in these sorts of things though I've been a bit wary due to thing such as the Retron controversy as well as some really low quality clone consoles from years before. My biggest concern is build quality and considering the age of this thread what would you say about build quality at this point especially some of the earlier ones you've mentioned in this thread?

The Super Retro Trio is lightweight, but I do worry about dropping it too hard. Feels a bit flimsy. It's not awful, though, and I recall carrying it outside in a bag with a bunch of stuff waiting for a friend.

And it still works like a charm. Had the thing almost two years now and it still works. And my room and its position probably could be better for it.

But that's just me. Still, just to be safe, you'd do well not to do anything to seriously damage it.

The Retron 3 feels a bit sturdier, at least based on my experience, but I felt it was worse than the Super Retro Trio in other ways. And I returned the piece of crap to the store I bought it from, figuring it was worse.

And sadly, since making my review, I learned after I accidentally dropped my SupaBoy (it happens), it seems to have some sort of issue with the cartridge slot. It still works, and I do maintain thay if you need to replace your Super NES, you can do worse, but I may have to dock a point for that.

And of course, I don't think I'll touch a Retron 5, at least not for a while. The controversy may or may not have played a part, but even if we eliminated or ignored that, I also heard there were hardware and emulation issues. Some were apparently resolved in the later models, but it's still something to worry about even if you choose to ignore the controversy. I know you won't, and I'm not saying you should, just saying if one does, they should nonetheless look out for what model they get.

Almost, if not quite all of these clones have some compatibility issues, but the Retro Trio and the SupaBoy worked with everything I tossed at it. I can't say Castlevania 3 will work, but I don't have a copy. Probably should at some point.

Back