Could Wario Land 4 have worked on the SNES?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
It couldn't have worked on the original Game Boy for obvious reasons (aka lack of graphics depth), but could Wario Land 4 have potentially worked as a SNES game?

Because I've always liked ripping Wario Land 4's graphics for my Super Mario World ROM hacks, so that at least implies most of them would be doable under SNES limitations (the one exception I've found is Wildflower Fields, cause of the ridiculously tile heavy background).

The music's been ported over, so that's doable:

And while the level scrolling might be a bit tricky, similar concepts have been done in games like Super Metroid. So nothing in the engine/game mechanics/design seems impossible.

So yeah; Wario Land 4 on SNES, possible or impossible?

There should have been a SNES Wario Land too. :( I'm sure it would be an excellent games, because that console had a knack for having so many of them. :)

Some stuff might need downgrading, but I think it's possible.

Of course, I wonder what Wario Land 4 might have been like had it been on SNES...I'm sure it wouldn't be the exact game we have now, and that's just ignoring the technology.

Well if you look vice versa there was SNES games ported on the GBA. It would just take some effort changing the instruments (easy just because of composing by ear or by sheet music yada yada). Sure graphics need to be altered and there are hardware limitations both ways but nothing a little elbow grease can't fix. Maybe the sound effects would be strange though.

I've never been quite clear on which of the two, SNES or GBA, was the more powerful. I mean, the GBA handles most of the SNES's Mario games perfectly, except for Yoshi's Island which has some slowdown and lacks the FX Chip effects. But the Donkey Kong Country games had to be watered way down in order for the GBA to handle them.

In a fan interview, Rare's CEO mention they more or less lost the original graphic assets to DKC and had to redo everything from scratch. (except the sprites, which they ripped from an emulator). That + having to brighten up the pallete for the original non-backlighted GBA probably accounts for why the DKC and DKC 2 ports look so bad.

In a fan interview, Rare's CEO mention they more or less lost the original graphic assets to DKC and had to redo everything from scratch. (except the sprites, which they ripped from an emulator). That + having to brighten up the pallete for the original non-backlighted GBA probably accounts for why the DKC and DKC 2 ports look so bad.
The music was also pretty terrible but there's no excuse for that. The music for Yoshi's Island's GBA port sounded just fine.

Back