Does Virtual Boy Wario Land even need 3D?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
I mean, I guess it may have needed it a bit more in the olden days, since the Virtual Boy came before the Nintendo 64 and much in the way of advanced movement about 3D space and different 'planes'.

But what exactly is the 3D stuff there anyway? Isn't it basically just jumping from the foreground to the background and vice versa?

That's been done on all kinds of modern systems without 3D visuals. Donkey Kong Country Returns did it:

Heck, Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door did it back on the Gamecube:

So any rerelease... I don't think it'd actually need to be on the 3DS. It could probably work perfectly fine on just about any modern Nintendo system.

What do you think?

Having only ever played VB Wario Land via emulation I have no idea how the game is with the 3D effect, but it played just fine without it and I can't imagine it adding anything of worth.

The same can be said about most 3DS games, the only one I have played that actually used the effect in any interesting gameplay is Super Mario 3D Land and even then it's only really limited to certain coin heavens and bonus rooms, other than that it's little more than a tacky visual gimmick.

So yeah, I don't think the 3D is needed at all.

I don't care about 3D, to be honest. I can take it or leave it, and plenty of games prove it to be nothing but a gimmick.

I barely used it on my old 3DS, and when a replacement became necessary sooner than expected, I got a 2DS to do so. Still has all the stuff I care about, after all.

That said, I wouldn't mind it in a new Wario Land game, but like I said, I can take it or leave it.

It's a gimmick that I can do without, but to be honest if they released VB Wario Land on the 3DS without including the 3D, I would take that as a sign of laziness.

True, if it was on the 3DS, you'd expect it to maintain the 3D.

But hey, it wouldn't need it specifically, so it'd still work on the Wii U or the Nintendo NX or whatever...

Back