Does Wario Ware need a gimmick?

ShyGuyXXL

Shyster Guyster
Diamond City Insider
After Wario Ware inc. every installment had some sort of gimmick involving the way you control the game.
Twisted: gyro controls
Touched: touch screen controls
Smooth Moves: motion controls
Snapped: "camera controls"

Game & Wario also had the tablet controls gimmick.

I'm not really counting Mega Party Game$ (since it was just a multiplayer version of the first one) and D.I.Y. (since it was more about making minigames than playing them).

But do they really need a gimmick? Isn't it just as much fun to just play good ol' microgames with good ol' button controls like the first game?
It has been 11 years since the last full non-gimmicky Wario Ware so why not make another one?

Or do you think it would get too stale and that the franchise needs a new gimmick each game to keep it fresh?

Also, would you like an old gimmick to return?

Was it fun to twist and turn your GBA to play Twisted?
Was it convenient to swing around your wiimote to play Smooth Moves?

Did these gimmicks add to the games or take away from them?

Did they work well?
Or was the technology not quite there, yet?

Not really. You can still come up with a lot of cool microgame concepts without some sort of tech gimmick being involved.

Or heck, given that the Wii U and 3DS have ALL the features used in past games, why not have a WarioWare title which brings back every gimmick in series history? You've got a touch screen, motion controls, gyro controls, camera, microphone, buttons... what more do you need for the ultimate WarioWare title?

"Isn't it just as much fun to just play good ol' microgames with good ol' button controls like the first game?"
Yes, but why would you want to play another WarioWare that's just like the first game? It's the gimmicks that have made each of the WarioWare games unique and different from each other.

Unfortunately, I find that people use the word "gimmick" in a negative way, especially in relation to Nintendo games. Most of the time, however, these gimmicks do a lot to develop the franchise/game in question and Nintendo usually do a fantastic job and designing them seamlessly into the fabric of the game. I think it's more like gamers are resistant to new types of inputs and the new set of skills and challenges that come from them.

Also, building and sharing games is DIY's gimmick.

Sure, as long as the new control scheme works well then I'd have no problem with it. On the contrary!

But if Nintendo can't find a new and good way to control the microgames (like Touched or Twisted) then I'd like to see a "normal" Wario Ware to bridge the gap between releases rather than one where the "gimmick" doesn't work well (like Snapped) or none at all.

Also, building and sharing games is DIY's gimmick.

I was talking about control "gimmicks". ^^

I think we all know whatever new thing the Switch 2 does it's gonna be a new game with a gimmick for that

Sure, as long as the new control scheme works

if Nintendo can't find a new and good way to control the microgames (like Touched or Twisted) then I'd like to see a "normal" Wario Ware
This basically. I'll see how I feel when the Switch 2 gimmick drops

Back