Has internet usage fell drastically in the last few years?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Or at least online community/social media usage as a whole?

Because from what I'm seeing, it seems like people are spending way less time online than they used to, even compared to before the pandemic. On Discord for example, it seems like about 99% of servers are nearly stone dead, with even the surviving ones being down to about 10% of their previous activity. On YouTube, views have fell off a cliff for a lot of channels, including large ones. Reddit? Similar situation, with activity on many subs feeling a lot slower than it used to (with politics possibly being the one exception).

And Twitter and its alternatives seem to be going through terminal decline. Obviously part of that is down to Musk's poor management of the former, but Mastodon, Threads and BlueSky don't seem anywhere near as active as they used to be.

Anyone else notice the same thing? Feels like post Covid, many people decided that real life was more of a focus again and cut back on internet usage dramatically.

maybe, i've noticed multiple good men/women leaving for presumably irl reasons, on multiple sites and games.

like here for example, many a good user left, and i hope they're ok.

I think a lot of communities don't last long and 90% of people leave within a few months. I think it's a phenomenon. In let's play videos on YouTube, the first part might have 300'000 views, but the final part has 20'000 views.

I think a lot of communities don't last long and 90% of people leave within a few months. I think it's a phenomenon. In let's play videos on YouTube, the first part might have 300'000 views, but the final part has 20'000 views.
That's a fair point. Communities certain die quite quickly, and a lot of people do leave within a short amount of time.

The thing that confuses me is how it seems like no community has really caught on anymore, or at least that there's no obvious online community where everyone's joining/becoming more active in exchange for lower activity elsewhere.

That's a fair point. Communities certain die quite quickly, and a lot of people do leave within a short amount of time.

The thing that confuses me is how it seems like no community has really caught on anymore, or at least that there's no obvious online community where everyone's joining/becoming more active in exchange for lower activity elsewhere.
and then more people leaving leads to more people leaving, because without those users that used to be near and dear to them, it just feels empty to them
again, @DabbitDaMips, @Miss Dreamy, @Terrormisu, if you guys come back and read this, I wish you well, and hope you're out there living your life instead of dead

and then more people leaving leads to more people leaving, because without those users that used to be near and dear to them, it just feels empty to them
again, @DabbitDaMips, @Miss Dreamy, @Terrormisu, if you guys come back and read this, I wish you well, and hope you're out there living your life instead of dead

Oh I wondered what happened to those people too.

Feels like so many people that used to be friends or active are nowhere to be seen anymore...

I think the availability of good internet can be rough depending on where you live. How much money you have to keep using the internet over time as a utility can add up. And then how people schedule their time to work or content creation at home after work. There are so many sites and paths to watch and communicate with that they all seem diluted.

Back