Interesting statement by Sakurai about Ashley [THIS IS CONFIRMED TO BE BULLSHIT]

Glowsquid

Mental midget
Diamond City Leader
(yo lurkers, check this)

Recently, Sakurai and some Namco staff that worked on Smash 4 held a very long video interview about the game and the future of Smash. There's currently an effort on Smashboard to translate it. Among various other info (Takamaru being suggested, Sakurai being aware of stupid character suggestion like Goku and Spongebob... etc), there's a very interesting statement that has implications beyond Smash, so I figure it's worth having a thread:

Ashley's star continues to grow and is now seen as a series regular. characters such a Crygor and Jimmy T.'s family got a long way to go and can rely on luck to appear.

of course the thread had to be set private for some reason (url is apparently http://smashboards.com/threads/gene...-the-nintendo-information-team.395147/page-28, but it's not archived) so I only heard of this through cached 4chan threads.

It's anecdotal as hell, but whenever I go on the Japanese Smash miiverse, there always seems to be Ashley fanart in the popular tab despite her utterly insignificant role in the game. And even before Smash, Goro Abe acknowledged her Miiverse popularity on one of those promotional Miiverse Sketch masterpiece vidjos for G&W.

Could this (+the cleaning cloth set released on the Japanese club nintendo) indicate Nintendo is now more interested in merchandising Ashley and (gulp) maybe have her appear outside Warioware? Or does Sakurai just mean her AT is a shoe-in for the next Smash? Personally, I can't help but be pretty excited for the future!

Last edited:
This is amazing news, I would love to see Ashley be in more games than ware and smash, mostly because they both have enough charater in them. And of course Ware may become more popular now too. I coulden't agree more, let's see what the future has to bring us!

Interesting, but I do have to wonder what he's been smoking when he says that 'Crygor appears based on luck'.

If he's referring to the Dr, the guy has appeared in at least three more games than Ashley has. Talking of which, Ashley herself has 'appeared only by luck' in some cases. Like when she didn't appear at all in WarioWare Snapped.

Still, I'd be happy with Ashley being promoted more as a character, if only because it brings the Wario representation up from one character to two. We might stop being ignored as much...

It's a bit strange, but I interepreted it being about future Smash installments (which still doesn't make 100% sense since Crygor is one of the few WW character to get a trophy in Smash, but whatev). The video is a Q&A so it would help to know what he was responding to...

If he said crygor was luck based and hes been around since the beginning, why would he compare them to jimmy's family who has appered in one game and dident even have their own microgames, it would seem that jimmy's family would have a 0% chance of reappearing or at least 2% chance. Thats very weird, does he even play ware?

I've seen this thread linked in a bunch of discussions about Smash Ultimates and in retrospect, I'm rather embarassed by the poor judgement of 2015-me. unless someone find footage of the supposed statement (and not just a 2+ hour video in a language I don't speak), I have good reason to believe the supposed statement was just some 4chan shitposter posting nonsense and taking advantage of the language barrier to have it go unchallenged

so yeah lurkers, stop linking this (though if you need additional ashley lore after this shocking upset, I'll point out the June 2013 issue of Nintendo Dream [basically the JP equivalent of nintendo power] inexplicably featured a two-page article exclusively about Ashley so maybe there is something to find in that)

Last edited:
tfw when your spread of misinformation is immortalized on the internet

This is me rn

Hoho, those Ashley fans are something else I tell you hwhat.
bMpU5e2.png

tfw when your spread of misinformation is immortalized on the internet

This is me rn

Sounded a little negative to me. There was no reason to throw the word "biased" in there at all and his overall tone was unpleasant. His video about Sakurai not saying "he didn't add Waluigi because he wasn't sure if his popularity was real" had a lot more energy to it.

Reactions: 607
Back