My take on a Rhythm Heaven character for Smash

BooDestroyer

Treasure Collector Extraordinaire
I've posted this on places like Smashboards before, but I'll add it here for extra measure.

RHYTHM HEAVEN
(Yes, this fighter is referred to as just that)
tumblr_lqcxuc4yFg1qeie3mo1_1280.jpg

5156833263_4e1bbdaa87_b.jpg

...I know what you might be thinking, but here's the deal:

Since more of the newcomers this time have taken everything to greater heights (Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt come to mind), here's one that could take things a bit further. Unlike other Smash fighters, this one is many different characters all in one moveset. Basically, the concept is a composite character similar to Mr. G&W, except not as loose. And instead of commanding a single character, you've got a whole collective to use here.

The base form of Rhythm Heaven is Marshal, but the catch is that with other attacks being used, he'll become those characters instead. Not imitating them, not summoning them, but briefly "transforming" into those characters when attacking.

Marshal will be relegated to just walking, running, jumping, dodging/shielding, using items, and getting damaged.

A: Karate Man Karate Joe will appear in Marshal's place and perform a punch combo.
Side A: Space Dance One of those green guys from Space Dance will appear and do the "p-p-p-punch" move.
Up A: The Clappy Trio A member of the Clappy Trio will do his usual upward clap.
Down A: Blue Birds One of the Blue Birds will peck down on the ground.
Run Attack: Board Meeting A pig on an office chair will spin around on it (like Mega Man's Top Spin) and come to a stop.
Side Smash: Samurai Slice The wandering samurai appears and uses his whirlwind slash from Fever's Samurai Slice level.
Up Smash: RAPMEN The yellow rapper appears and uses his "Uh, unh" move. (Red rapper appears beside him too, and rap a bit when charging)
Down Smash: Crop Stomp Stomp Farmer stomps down on the ground to make a beet pop out and tosses it up. (and a nearby opponent into the air)

Grab (and tether recovery): Love Lizards The yellow female (with the green male on her back) will extend her tongue to grab opponents and ledges from a distance.
Grab Attack: Drum Samurai When grabbed, Drum Samurai will take Marshal's place and sit down on his drummer seat and whack at the player with his drum sticks like a drum set. (This can be done to a short beat)
Forward Throw: Exhibiton Match The slugger appears and whacks the opponent forward with his baseball bat.
Back Throw: Munchy Monk Throws the opponent backward and shoots a bunch of peas at the opponent in the air. (from Fever)
Up Throw: Working Dough The dough guys appear and knock the opponent upward twice. (Once, the small guy, and the second time, both the big and small guys)
Down Throw: Mochi Pounding The mochi-pounding guys (2P Endless game, Fever) will briefly hammer the opponent repeatedly on the ground.

(Just remember that this character is called "Rhythm Heaven". This fighter takes forms of several different characters from the series during attacks)

Neutral Air: Tambourine A monkey with a tambourine will chime it, damaging anyone close by.
Forward Air: Air Rally Baxter/Forthington (randomly) will whack a badminton shuttle with his racket.
Back Air: Dog Ninja Dog Ninja slashes his swords behind him.
Up Air: Space Soccer The space kicker from Space Soccer will kick a soccer ball upwards into the air.
Down Air: Bossa Nova Bossa/Nova (randomly) will spike a sphere/cube downwards.

Neutral Special: Glee Club One of the Chorus Kids appears and opens his mouth to sing, catching projectiles into his mouth. This works exactly like the Villager's neutral special, and the caught projectiles can be spat out at opponents later.
Side Special: Ringside The wrestler from Ringside will charge forward at opponents, then grab and throw them if it connects. If in the air, he'll slam them down onto the ground. Similar to Ganondorf's.
Up Special: See-Saw The see-saw appears as one guy plummets the other upward.
Down Special: Frog Hop One of the frog dancers will do his spin-dance to reflect projectiles and spin opponents around on contact. Works exactly like Mario's cape.

Up Taunt: Marshal and buddies (Marshal briefly playing with Cam and Miss Ribbon)
Side Taunt: Fan Club (The pop idol will prance around happily with a few monkeys cheering her on)
Down Taunt: Cheer Readers (One of them will appear and flip her book around and show off a random picture on it)

Final Smash: Rhythm Parade
The Barsita dog will appear and "grab" opponents and take them into this pseudo-cinematic Final Smash.
Anyone caught will be in for a huge parade of several characters from the series marching all over them. The A button can be pressed (by the Rhythm Heaven player) to a brief beat that's heard throughout the parade to do more damage. After that, the opponents will be sent flying.

(In case you forgot, this character is referred to as "Rhythm Heaven")

As for custom specials, like the Mii Fighters and Palutena, they're all completely different.

Custom Neutral Special 1: DJ School DJ Yellow will appear to do a record-spinning attack. Hold the button to charge it up and let go to spin it and whack the opponent nearby.
Custom Neutral Special 2: Lady Cupid Lady Cupid will appear. Like Link/Toon Link's, hold the button to charge up an arrow shot.

Custom Side Special 1: Hole in One Mandrill takes out a golf ball and throws it along the ground to damange any opponents.
Custom Side Special 2: Flipper-Flop Captain Tuck will roll the flipper seals forward to attack.

Custom Up Special 1: Donk-Donk The ship from Donk-Donk will propel itself upward.
Custom Up Special 2: Flock Step A Huebird will fly upward. Doesn't do any damage.

Custom Down Special 1: Love Lab A Love Lab scientist will shake a beaker for a while, and can throw it later. The more it's shaken, the stronger the attack will be.
Custom Down Special 2: Moai Doo-Wop A moai will appear and open its mouth to absorb any projectiles to heal. Works just like Ness'.

(Again, if you haven't caught on yet, this fighter briefly "transforms" into other characters from the series during any course of action)

Victory 1: A few of the characters from this moveset (Karate Joe, Munchy Monk, Wandering Samurai, and Baxter/Forthington) will gather around and congratulate each other on their victory.
Victory 2: A couple more characters (Stomp Farmer, DJ Yellow, MC Adore, reporter, and frog dancers) will sit around and relax.
Victory 3: Marshal, Cam, Miss Ribbon, a few monkeys, and the Barista will hop around victoriously.

And finally, they would all have to be strictly in 2D to make this work smoothly.

And for the record, I voted for this in the Smash Fighter Ballot. Tried to explain it as best as I could within 500 characters.

Last edited:
It's a really, really nice idea for a character (well, characters/team) and would be great in Super Smash Bros.

However, I strongly suspect it's a bit too... overly complex for a DLC character. For a character in Super Smash Bros 5? I can see it happening. But Sakurai and co probably aren't going to make new models/sprites for about fifty Rhythm Heaven characters so a fairly obscure series can get a representative as a download.

In fact, I figure that for the most part, the character's chosen here will be fairly traditional in setup, with the most complex aspects being the new models and move concepts. Teams and gimmick characters seem like too much effort for DLC.

Custom Neutral Special 2: Lady Cupid Lady Cupid will appear. Like Link/Toon Link's, hold the button to charge up an arrow shot.
Imo this shouldn't be chargeable. In Rhythm Heaven it wasn't, so why should it be now? It should be a quick shot like Fox's laser gun with the movement and damage of Link's weakest arrow. It has the same knockback as Megaman's neutral attack (lemon shot).

I'm surprised Glowsquid hasn't seen this yet. Wonder what he makes of it?

Am I the "Rhythm Heaven guy" now, or something? You know I only played Fever, right? : p

It's a (mostly) creative moveset, but I'm not sure about the transformation aspect. Never mind the financial considerations, how would it handle things like hitboxes? I'm also not sure about some specials being described as "exactly like [existing character]'s".

Still, I like it.

Imo this shouldn't be chargeable. In Rhythm Heaven it wasn't, so why should it be now? It should be a quick shot like Fox's laser gun with the movement and damage of Link's weakest arrow. It has the same knockback as Megaman's neutral attack (lemon shot).
Need I remind you that a LOT of moves are like this? DJ Yellow wasn't the one who did any record-spinning either, and so on.

Am I the "Rhythm Heaven guy" now, or something? You know I only played Fever, right? : p
Well, I do see you going on about it quite a lot around here.

I'm also not sure about some specials being described as "exactly like [existing character]'s".
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I mean statements like:

Neutral Special: Glee Club One of the Chorus Kids appears and opens his mouth to sing, catching projectiles into his mouth. This works exactly like the Villager's neutral special, and the caught projectiles can be spat out at opponents later.
Side Special: Ringside The wrestler from Ringside will charge forward at opponents, then grab and throw them if it connects. If in the air, he'll slam them down onto the ground. Similar to Ganondorf's.
Down Special: Frog Hop One of the frog dancers will do his spin-dance to reflect projectiles and spin opponents around on contact. Works exactly like Mario's cape.

Down Smash: Crop Stomp Stomp Farmer stomps down on the ground to make a beet pop out and tosses it up. (and a nearby opponent into the air)
RHYTHM GIMMICK IDEA because everybody wants to see this in a Rhythm Heaven character for some reason:
What if while charging the down Smash you hear the Crop Stomp dude humming ''hm'' and if you releash the smash attack right when he's humming it will be stronger or something I don't know. Too lazy to think of anything for the other smashes atm. This was just on my mind for a long time.

Looks like I will never answer your question in the WarioWare adventures thread.

Have I got an idea for you. Literally all of Smash is rhythm based so why not the character go the exact same pace as the music you are fighting with. It would be an intellectual way of considering Omega counter picks and that would make the character just as fun as the likes of Villager and Game & Watch. Heck all we really need is re-skins over existing characters like say how there was Project M hacks Etika showed including all Pokémon (still in progress). I think we should at least suggest it to (game director in question) here. Then again that would cause controversy with all the Smash Ballot users. :/ Predicament much

Back