[Article] Nintendo Dream interview

Glowsquid

Mental midget
Diamond City Leader
Japanese Magazine nintendo dream just published an interview with WarioWare Move It developers Goro Abe, Ko Takeuchi, Naoko Mori and Kazunori Shigeta. There wasn't any interview for Get It Together so this is a big deal

No full translaiton yet but some stuff I picked up on from a quick and dirty machine translation

-Ko Takeuchi did some voices (again)
-Goro Abe is touched to work with people who played the original WW as kids
-The new staff takes the role of continuing the series legacy Very seriously
-People outside the development team (including sales/marketing) pitched in to suggest microgame ideas
-When staff proposed microgames, Goro Abe would ratethem as B (bad) B+ (worthy of consideration) or A (immediately accepted)
-The new costumes were drawn-up by Intelligent System and evaluated by Ko Takeuchi
-"It was too neatly put together. So I decided to make it even weirder."
-Ko Takeuchi explain his character creation philosophy

When I create a character, I create a mind map, although I don't show it to the staff. The mind map lists the background settings for each character, such as who they are and how they grew up. Each time I introduce a name or a new character, I think, ``I think I can use this character this time.'' So, while supervising the video storyboards created by the IS designers, I looked at the mind map and made requests like ``put this character here.''
-For a 30th anniversary title, Ko Takeuchi would like a story where the characters go on a road trip to their respective birthplaces
-On the RH/Wario Land cameos:

Why are characters from games like "Rhythm Heaven" and "Wario Land Advance" appearing?​

Abe These games are also titles that Takeuchi has been involved with, and he also designs the characters, so he appears in them for fun.

Takeuchi I'm always thinking about the characters using the mind map I mentioned earlier. This is no joke; as I get closer to the design, the characters start talking on their own in my head. Therefore, what kind of character will be decided naturally. There are a lot of characters born this way, so if the conditions are right, we bring them into the scene.

—— However, the worlds of the games are not connected to each other, right?

Abe Not exactly. For example, I would like you to think of it as Osamu Tezuka's Star System (*2) style.

(*2) Manga artist Osamu Tezuka often featured characters (look-alikes) from other titles in his works. A method that makes it appear as if actual star actors are appearing in various movies is called the "star system."

Last edited:
Do also like how it seemingly confirms one or both of Cractus or the Shokora lookalike (speaking of, has anyone dumped her model and seen if she has any facial details modelled?) in Great Cleave were definitely intentional references to Wario Land 4, too, despite the Japanese cast roll giving Cractus a slightly different name.

Last edited:
pretty slick, move it is a really big improvement to the recent warioware games so i think we'll be seeing the quality go up from here!

Back