Nintendo Power

TheUltimateGengar

Switch Friend Code: SW-6126-0782-8125. SuperToad4
Nintendo's magazine for the NTSC-U region.
It was published from 1988 to 2012.
Today, I bought six issues of Nintendo Power for reading purposes.
Do any of you remember reading Nintendo Power as a child?
What issues of Nintendo Power do any of you have? (If you have any lying around)
I have issues 86, 87, 93, 94, 111, and 126.
The issues that feature Wario are issues 58, 212, and 233.

Features:
Top 10s: Nintendo showed what games were trending.
Contests: There were various contests with prizes.

Last edited:
As a PAL region guy, my only experience is the podcast (still running!) and that book they released alongside the NES Classic, Playing with Power!

As someone else from a PAL region, my memories are of Nintendo Official Magazine and Official Nintendo Magazine rather than Nintendo Power. Still remember a few interesting things about them:

1. They really liked Rare's games in the N64 days, even more so than other gaming sites and publications did. Donkey Kong 64 got better reviews than Majora's Mask did for instance.

2. There was a certain competiveness about the NOM days that the OMN ones didn't quite match, with the former doing things like running Pokemon tournaments to decide who could get to download Mew for the original games (I recall you had to beat them in a Pokemon battle first) and vehemently defending the use of 'snaking' in Mario Kart DS. I get the feeling they would have really loved speedrunning had it been a thing in the 90s.

3. The ONM forums were pretty good in the day, and surprisingly relaxed compared to most official Nintendo communities. You could share friend codes, talk about fan games and projects, discuss Nintendo's own actions in a fairly neutral way, etc. Pretty interesting to see, especially compared to the much more strictly run Nsider and Miiverse.

4. At one point, there was a feature where you could 'ask Nintendo'. This was quickly dropped when they realised that Nintendo was as responsive towards questions as a brick wall.

It was an interesting time, and I kind of miss those magazines to be honest with you. Felt more 'fun' when video game journalism was about the humour rather than moral preaching.

Back